Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

121 wedge New build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 12:21pm
A pressure pot sprayer is need for a good splatter finish, due to how thick warnex is a HVLP will kinda of work but not.

my set up is a cheap 2l pressure pot and the gun it came with, it has a 1.6mm tip
I put a regulator on the gun, so you actually see what pressure you at.
Leave the guns air pressure fully open and use the regulator to adjust you air pressure.

I had the pressure tank at 45psi for all coats.
Gun pressure at 25-30psi for the first 2 coats
Fan about 2 turns out
Fluid 2-3 turns.
spraying about 20cm away from the surface; over laping 50-60% on each pass.
Hold the gun as square as you can, you need to get even coverage, if you find there are stripes or lines in the finish then the gun is not being held square and putting more material down on the side that is closer to the surface.

I give it 2 coats with the above settings, it will not go down flat but have a heavy orange peel appearance.

For the splatter coats
pressure take at 45psi
fan full
fluid full
gun pressure 5-10psi.

Give it 2-3 coats till the texture and appearance desired is acheived.

I pretty much follow the recommendation from warnex.

I use a 50l air compressor just about manages it, it dose run constantly tho and I do have to take a brake every so often to let catch up. 
 With the constant running it gets hot and oily/rusty/watery nastyness collects in the tank a filter is recommended to remove this. (it really effects the finish)
Also drain the compressor tank before and after you use the compressor.

Low pressure will effect the finish, as the pressure gets low the material can't be pushed to the gun leaving a thinner film and a patchy dry looking finish

The tip of the gun will get coverd in thick overspray, keep a clean wet sponge and bucket of water near by and clean after every cab, helps keep consistency.

I don't claim to have the best method and am sure others on the forum with more experience would have some advise, I'm always keen to learn new methods.

Edited by dlyxover - 25 July 2020 at 6:28pm
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 1:02pm
Nice build and nice finish! I'm also planning on spraying the new cabs with Warnex (definately because polyurea stays so damn expensive).
I have a 120L compressor available (8 engines) and two 270L pressure vessels so that will do the job probably.
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2019 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Nice build and nice finish! I'm also planning on spraying the new cabs with Warnex (definately because polyurea stays so damn expensive).
I have a 120L compressor available (8 engines) and two 270L pressure vessels so that will do the job probably.

Thank you.
Yes you should be rocking with that set up.
Put some photos up when your done, would be good to see your work.
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2019 at 12:19am
Excellent instructions there, thanks. I think my problem was I needed the extra regulator at the gun. I was using a cheapo unit too and it only had one regulator as it went into the tank. That's good to know.

Finjby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finjby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 7:12pm
How is progressing... have you finished building?
Any pics? And have you used them in anger yet?

dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2019 at 10:12am
progress as halted.

The cabs are all finished wired up just need loading, well 2 are loaded and along with some q15 subs they are my hifi in the studio for now. Really happy with how they sound.

I wanted a fancy grill as such I've been learning fusion 360.

hoping too get the grills sorted in the next few weeks, then on to flight cases.

They will be going on gig next month

Edited by dlyxover - 27 April 2019 at 10:14am
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 11:37am
Any updates here? Interested in the flight cases
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:11pm
Yes got the 3 flight cases made

Made from 9mm birch ply with laminated faces, all the usual edging, catches handles and castors.
Lined with 20mm high density foam.
Fracture_clinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fracture_clinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Proper job mate! Nicely done.

I keep meaning to build myself an amp rack in the same style. Just because I like making things tbh. Plus I sat on my 6u ABS rack and really buggered it up.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:23pm
Nice!

dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:56pm
taking orders on flight cases if anyone needs any Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678