Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12-inch bass, recommendations please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12-inch bass, recommendations please.
    Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:53pm
My days of pounding it into the small and not quite so small hours have departed, as have my last pair of 1850 loaded bins.

I'm getting older and so is my back DeadDead

I have two pairs of Turbosund iX12's and 2 pairs of Wharfdale Titan 12's together with 2 pairs of active 15's which rarely leave my van.

One pair of the iX12's is left set up on wall mounts at a twice-weekly gig and the other pair is my regular go-to for hotel work; a pair of the Titans is at a local social club which gives me a lot of work and one of the remaining pair is not working - and nobody appears to want to repair it Confused

Most of my work nowadays is for relatively low numbers of people who don't need deep "commited" bass, although come June and July I have 12 (and counting) school proms coming up and they generally need a little more oomph.  I used combinations of the 12s and the 15s last year for the proms and the reception was generally great.

I'm looking to get a pair (maybe two pairs) of 12-inch bins of some kind - most likely something like the Tham 12 that I have read about in these forums, although I've yet to hear them.

AND, I have no idea what drivers I would put in them; I love reggae and I love funky house and play them whenever I get the opportunity, so preferably some kind of box/driver combination which would give me maximum pleasure on those genres

I have an iNuke 6000 (and EP1500 and 2500's) here and  a crossover, but the EP's really need to be got rid of since they're too heavy for my needs now.

SO.  Comments and recommendations please Smile   Take the P!$$ all that you want but this is how I make my living and although I loved playing the multi-kilowatt systems I simply don't need that now.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 15 May 2018 at 8:55pm
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 8:55pm
Q12? Double q12 with neos?

Single q15 

Tham 12... i still love the idea of cookies set up. Wish i could go hear it in anger !

Edited by JonB67 - 15 May 2018 at 8:57pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Tham12 may disappoint for reggae.

2x12 reflex loaded with BMS 12s305 is a good option for going low and loud in a small enclosure. Won't come close to tapped horn efficiency of course, but they have huge excursion capacity and power handling for the price. 800w AES and 14.3mm effective xmax.  https://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?product=BMS_12S305_-_12_inch_Bass_Midrange_Speaker_800_W_8_Ohms&id=BMS12S305L

You could drive the whole of your NU6000 into a pair of doubles and get solid 35Hz performance in a fairly small box. Or 4 tiny single boxes.

Edited by Hemisphere - 15 May 2018 at 9:03pm
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:18pm
Does it have to be strivtly single 12"? Pfly has a 2x12" ppsl concept for bms drivers.

I've heard some bms loaded compact 15" reflex bins designed by pfly many times. Serious little subs that move a lot of air in a block of four. And they go low.

cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:19pm
Tham 12 does NOT disappoint for reggae 
see THIS page of my thread. Tham 12's are the BEST 12" box i have ever heard and owned. Period. If you are ever local to leicester i would be happy to demo
You can't polish a turd!
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:33pm
I said 'may'! Depends what the expectations are. Indoors with a bit of judicious EQ and I'm sure they shine, but they're still -3dB at 50Hz in 2Pi, so while they'll hold their own against a pair of reflex bins (and even outperform some) in their operating range, they won't also have the headroom to EQ up the 40-50Hz region which definitely helps with reggae music.

4x THAM12 will offer the headroom necessary to EQ up that range, but a pair of doubles or 4x single compact reflex will play that range and below better than a pair of THAM's.
Phase 1: Post on Speakerplans
Phase 2: ?????
Phase 3: Profit!
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I said 'may'! Depends what the expectations are. Indoors with a bit of judicious EQ and I'm sure they shine, but they're still -3dB at 50Hz in 2Pi, so while they'll hold their own against a pair of reflex bins (and even outperform some) in their operating range, they won't also have the headroom to EQ up the 40-50Hz region which definitely helps with reggae music.

4x THAM12 will offer the headroom necessary to EQ up that range, but a pair of doubles or 4x single compact reflex will play that range and below better than a pair of THAM's.

1 THAM12 would be comparable to a double 12 reflex" in my experience. 
That being said though, I am yet to hear the witchcraft and wizardry from a Q12 or Q212.........

Edited by cookie-dj - 15 May 2018 at 9:42pm
You can't polish a turd!
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:49pm
I'm currently getting quoted for a pair of these which seem to be all the rage on the polish forums.

Even work nicely with cheap end drivers...

They look like scaled down B&C sub boxes.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Got to agree with Hemisphere on this, the Tham is a very lively box from 50 ish up but it does not go low, 12 inch reflex tuned to 35 will sound much better for reggaeand low sub music.

That being said though, I am yet to hear the witchcraft and wizardry from a Q12 or Q212.........

Edited by concept-10 - 15 May 2018 at 9:59pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

Got to agree with Hemisphere on this, the Tham is a very lively box from 50 ish up but it does not go low, 12 inch reflex tuned to 35 will sound much better for reggaeand low sub music.

...slap a guitar distortion pedal between the dsp and the amp going to the 12 subs and you can pretend it's a scoop LOL
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:38pm
Single 15" are easier to find good drivers for and don't necessarily need to be much bigger.  I've got a pair loaded with Beyma 15G400's which if I really wanted to I could probably lift above my head.  Not much more than 500mm cubes and produce a surprising amount of noise for the size.

Look up the old B&C Sub15 plan...
RiddimKid View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiddimKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:39pm
I would be so scared to put reggae or current urban music through a 12" sub like a Tham 12 or something like that. 

I have to say I did watch Dj cookie's video and I'm very impressed,I just think a 15" would give me more peace of mind 

Surely a 15" is worth it, the box wouldn't be much bigger then the 12" version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>