Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v Rope Lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unfold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v Rope Lights
    Posted: 29 July 2012 at 8:17pm
Evening all,

can anyone explain how i would get this rope light to run from a leisure battery?

thanks for any help, its much appreciated =)
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 2:31pm
If you buy the 12v stuff, you'll only need to connect it direct to your battery (with a suitabley rated fuse in line) The 240 will need an inverter but this would be rather inefficient. If it doesn't have to be that specifically, try these guys, they're really sound to deal with and have helped me out with quite a few projects in the past.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php?osCsid=puanjqtdbfl6bk6g1rn82s0r34
blah blah blah blah blah......
soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:52pm
On the subject of rope lights in general, I've a a few 240V ones, (some hard wired, one with a flasher unit) get breaks in them so they don't work all the way to end.

Are any know for being more durable?
I really like the effect but don't want to buy more if they break.
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 10:47am
Hi Dan, if you can be botherd, its sometimes worth going through the lamps on them as when they pop they can stop ones further up the line from working. I've never really come across good quality ones, I'm not that into buying cheap crap and then replacing when broken but I think thats just what you have to do....
blah blah blah blah blah......
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 12:43pm
with a reel of LED tape, a length of clear tubing, a long rope/string to pull it through and half an hour of struggling/swearing... can DIY your own 12v rope light to suit.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Hi Dan, if you can be botherd, its sometimes worth going through the lamps on them as when they pop they can stop ones further up the line from working. I've never really come across good quality ones, I'm not that into buying cheap crap and then replacing when broken but I think thats just what you have to do....
Its seems to be solidly moulded and the joins within that break rather than bulbs blowing.
Replacing cheap isn't viable, I've had 2 about £20-odd each break after lees than five outings. I might try again but from a differer supplier.
Ta.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

with a reel of LED tape,
sounds interesting, have you done this yourself? any particular led tape you'd recommend?

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2012 at 12:05am
Yep, it's a bit of a hassle! I clamped the tube in a vice and pulled it taught to thread the tape through, it'd probably be handy to have a friend help out.
Can't reccomend specific LED tape, I just bought the cheapest stuff close to me... it's fairly basic stuff so can't imagine having problems with it.
Wired a pair of alligator clips and a cigarette lighter plug on the end, it's pretty good for a few dollars worth of bits.

Edited by bitSmasher - 02 August 2012 at 12:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply