Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15' kick cabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15' kick cabs
    Posted: 21 November 2012 at 2:16pm
Hi all,
building a rig and thinking about the best type of cab design to fill our hole ;)
I dont know that much about design so more looking for pro's and con's from experienced builders/engineers.
Basically what i'm moving towards is putting together a OEM'ed rig.
Got some twin 18' PD loaded subs that are a design i love, sound awesome...
They are basically reflex subs similar to something like a DB DVA S30N - but not as DB sounding ;)
The design can be rear loaded to make them more similar to a horn type and that is how we run them as they sound warmer and rounder on the <72Hz freqs.
Buying some SP12s of Mykey and some HF horns too so those will be the top end.
What we dont know is what to do between them???
Front loaded? reflex? horn? 15's ???
We are going for the purely dance sound, hard but not harsh sound.
What type of design would be best suited to fill the gap between the sub and SP12?
We want that full, rounded kick to suite techno/house stuff.

"DFA switch fitted"
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 2:50pm
hd15: 15" loaded and good for kick... or similar style of cabs based on the old turbosound bandpass horns
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 3:10pm
15 feet????? Boom-boom.

It would probably suit you to look at the Turbosound kick, HD15-type as mentioned before to get that dance thump.
music is the message
grazzeee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grazzeee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 4:09pm
what freq range are you looking to run you kicks?
JamesFlipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 4:11pm
between 72Hz and 220 ish

"DFA switch fitted"
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:09pm
  HDs wont go that high without sounding honky, IMO about 150hz is as high as they go, perhaps a decent reflex box would be better?
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 6:41am
Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

Hi all,
building a rig and thinking about the best type of cab design to fill our hole ;)
I dont know that much about design so more looking for pro's and con's from experienced builders/engineers.
They are basically reflex subs similar to something like a DB DVA S30N - but not as DB sounding ;)
The design can be rear loaded to make them more similar to a horn type and that is how we run them as they sound warmer and rounder on the <72Hz freqs.
What type of design would be best suited to fill the gap between the sub and SP12?

What about Davey T's booty bass? So we're talking 2 bass 1 single kick or double kick then 1 x SP12?

QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 10:31am
ASS BS500 is the best sounding 15" I've heard on kicks andit will go up to 250hz easy without sounding honky. 
If its a box you want to build yourself then a ES15 (modified ES18) with the right driver would also do the trick. 
Not a lot of 15" kicks will play upto 250hz without sounding a bit honky.
"Music is life"
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:26pm
  I was thinking of ASS BS500/600/1200 when I posted but wasn't sure how high they played.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 4:11am
Go see Goliath (PBS) and get my hybrids made up
JamesFlipside View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesFlipside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 9:58am
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by JamesFlipside JamesFlipside wrote:

Hi all,

What about Davey T's booty bass? So we're talking 2 bass 1 single kick or double kick then 1 x SP12?

I'm using the double 18 Davey T's booty bass subs. Then two single 15's to increase modular flexibility. Then one SP12... You think? In application the SP12 will be slimmer than the footprint of the overall stack so would play out more like 2X 218 subs, 4x 115 kicks and 3x SP12+HF per side.
"DFA switch fitted"
Karlsonman3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlsonman3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2012 at 6:33pm
Karlson resonators can be "kicky"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>