Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" loaded X1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" loaded X1
    Posted: 29 January 2013 at 12:18pm
Hi friends.
I'm thinking of building four  X1's but I want to load them with 15" drivers.  I'm  not sure what drivers yet, what would you  recommend? 

The style of music I play is Reggae, Roots, Dubs. so they must drop quite low. I thought about the HD15's But they were design for kick bass, not low  enough  for my style of music..

The scale down version would be small enough to fit four of these in my estate car or work van.
And extremely easy and quick to build.

Can one of you clever people scale the X1 down to use a 15" driver for me?
Has it been done before? what does it sound like? any plans available for a 15" version?

Your help is much appreciated.
Cheers.
Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 2:16pm
basic guide to what you want to do
1] download win isd
2]select a few possible drivers 
3] sim these in a 6th order band pass cab using the free program win isd
4] come back with results that look like they do what you want and we can all advise further
hope this helps
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 2:53pm
it won't "scale" down using a simple divide-by-18, multiply-by-15 method. The tuning will be wrong. You can make a box that looks like the X1 but you will have to pretty much design it from scratch. It's one of the simplest kinds of box to make though; you just need to work out two volumes and two port sizes then make a box that has those dimensions with the driver on a baffle between them. As Mark says WinISD is your friend here. Remember to take into account the volume inside the cone (add it on the the front chamber volume) and volume of the magnet/basket assembly (subtract it, and the cone volume, from the rear chamber volume).
The slanted baffle in the X1 saves some vertical height at the expense of depth, but I don't think it does much else, so you could make yours straight if it's easier. Put plenty of bracing in - probably allow an extra two to five litres in each chamber for this - the stiffer the box is the more useful sound it will make.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 3:56pm
Thank you both..
I have never used WinISD it sounds very  complicated  but I'll give it a go.
I like the look of the X1 with the driver been mounted inside and not seen. With nice little grills covering the ports, they would look fab. I was thinking of buying 4 x 15" drivers from studiospares.com. much cheaper than anywhere else. do you guys know of these drivers?
The chassis looks to be identical to JBL and Tmax

t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:30am
http://constantpressure.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=13
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 4:31am
take a look of this

Edited by t.geessounds - 31 January 2013 at 4:31am
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2013 at 10:32pm
Thanks..
They all look very interesting. Have you built any of them? what do they sound like?
Or do you know anyone on this Forum that has?
Cheers
Greg32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2013 at 5:21am
that does look interesting, has any one any further info?
 Post Reply Post Reply