Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15'' Punisher Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15'' Punisher Design
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:31am
Hello all
Lockdown seems to me the perfect time to redesign the sub section of my rig and come up with something completely new. I currently run a punisher rig and for the most part im pleased with it. However i recently purchased a pair of Void Stasy 8s for kickbass and now i find myself really wanting a sub that hits slightly lower than a standard 12'' punisher. I've toyed around with various design briefs and after finding the Ciare 15 SW i've decided i really want to make a box for it designed to hit 30hz as flat as possible whilst  still retaining alot of the "SPL over low-end extenstion " and "fast moving small surface area over slow moving large surface area" approach to the original Punisher design. I am aware that there is a plan for a 15'' box that would fit this driver but to my knowledge it just a scaled up 12'' plan and what im seeking in asking this forum is advice, parameters and tips to redesign the horn as i believe simply just making it bigger is not the best approach to getting extra low end extenion from a punisher sounding & style box. It will be my first attempt at proper speaker design so am looking for any and alll pointers that will help me along the way and am re-familiarising myself with the Dinsdale Horns Guide alongisde writing this.
Thanks in advance

Edited by junoprobelaunch - 18 May 2020 at 3:33am
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:42am
Hi Juno

I'm still relatively new to horn design but I have learnt a few things.

The first of which is; if you haven't learnt hornresp, do it! once you get past all the unfamiliar boxes with letters next to them, you will realise the basic concept is quite simple. Once you get to know it, you can try lots of different idea of horn shapes and driver combos quite quickly using the 'loudspeaker wizard'. 

Second a larger driver does not mean it will play lower in a horn although it may. The real limit is horn length. A rough gude is 1/4 of the wavelength you are trying to produce. So for 30hz, you will need a 2.9m horn at a minimum. This will be quite a sizable box. 

Third, I wouldn't settle on a driver just yet, have a play in horn resp with a bunch of different drivers. You will start to see how the different T/S parameters affect response. 

Forth, if you are making a different horn, for a different driver, you will have to start fresh with the horn path and chamber volumes. You might be able to copy the folding but simply scaling a horn path up may not work that well. 

lastly, you could try an extension on the end of the punishers you have. I have already designed such a thing but none have been built yet to my knowledge. https://forum.speakerplans.com/punisher-extension-development-thread_topic104537_page1.html

Hope this helps
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:39pm
I reckon a 15 inch "Punisher", if correctly laid out, will end up about the same size as a SBH or Invader - and then what have you gained? 

The Punisher folding is clever, but a PITA to assemble. Without CNC cut parts - V diff. (I've built 8 that way...)

If you're into complicated woodwork, why not build the "I Can't Believe It's Not A Martin 215 mk 3"? The plans just came up on here the other day - and it will satisfy your goal of fast, efficient bass.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
junoprobelaunch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junoprobelaunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:16pm
Thank you citizen thats super helpful :) will get myself up to date with the progress from your thread thank you for that
 Post Reply Post Reply