Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" tapped horn plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" tapped horn plans
    Posted: 18 May 2008 at 8:48pm
EDIT:
THIS IS NOT A TH-115!!!
The TH-115 is a commercial product made by the good men at Danley Sound Labs. The designer of these plans is on diyaudio and created this plan as a speculation on the inside of one of those magic boxes, from the outside dimensions (never a good place to start really, if you are trying to figure out what is inside a complex horn-loaded enclosure).

I found these plans on my hard drive and was wondering what the difference (depth? anyone built these?) would be between this plan:

http://rapidshare.com/files/115876343/th-115_style.pdf.html

and philpope's Apache H15

Both are of great interest to me , as the tapped horn idea looks like a compact way to get 2-a side 40hz.

BTW, are there any 18" tapped horn plans around?

Edited by Deadbeat - 21 May 2008 at 6:42pm
Away on extended leave.
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 10:58pm
Where did you find that TH115 plan?????

What driver does it use?

Any response plots?

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 1:07am
That TH115-Style cab looks really tricky to build unless I'm missing something.  Clever design though.
heinrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heinrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 1:43am
m8ts,

I couldn't see/download anything can anyone post it again pls.

thanks

Edited by heinrich - 19 May 2008 at 1:44am
.....power is nothing without control....
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:25pm
is this the danley th115 or th115 'style' like mine?

what's going on with that 45 degree piece up and right from the driver?

edit

I get it now. Those angled baffles in the left hand diagram split the vertical column on the seen in the side view and also divide the cabinet volume above the driver. The horn path starts at the driver, goes left then vertically upward through the centre of the column, then splits in two and comes back down either side, then goes right and the two halves join back together where the 45 degree bit is. The 45 degree bit is only 6”wide and goes between the ends of the angled baffles to cap the throat of the horn. Don’t know if everyone else can see that – I had to print it onto paper before it was clear.

Much longer path length and higher compression ration than my design. Should be more sensitive I would think. Wonder if there’s time to knock one up by the weekend…
Phil

Edited by snowflake - 19 May 2008 at 2:54pm
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by heinrich heinrich wrote:

m8ts,

I couldn't see/download anything can anyone post it again pls.

thanks

+1
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:35pm
+2
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
rich, ind.st View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich, ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:55pm
thats the initial flare, goes up the middle then out at the top and down t'other side of the initial flare...makes very little sense written down but quite a clever touch.

the board that looks like it blocks off the second half of the horn is only 1/3 of the cab diameter might be a better way of explaining
music is god
Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

The horn path starts at the driver, goes left then vertically upward through the centre of the column, then splits in two and comes back down either side, then goes right and the two halves join back together where the 45 degree bit is. The 45 degree bit is only 6”wide and goes between the ends of the angled baffles to cap the throat of the horn. Don’t know if everyone else can see that – I had to print it onto paper before it was clear. Much longer path length and higher compression ration than my design. Should be more sensitive I would think. Wonder if there’s time to knock one up by the weekend…

It does look a lot more complex than the Apache

Phil have you done a Mk2 of the Apache yet. I am determined to build one or two eventually! I wonder how this one would compare to the Apache it looks around the same size?

Are you still going to be at the shootout, I will be very interested to see how those Apaches perform!

Stu

Edited by Disco Stu - 19 May 2008 at 3:46pm
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:55pm
Sorry, will post up link againSmile

No response plots or anything like that, I think I must have downloaded them ages ago and forgot about them. Try the diyaudio collaborative tapped horn thread (although it is over 200 pages long Dead).

Edited by Deadbeat - 19 May 2008 at 3:59pm
Away on extended leave.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:58pm
Mediafire this time...

http://www.mediafire.com/?r9nwg8dd0dl

I think it was from either here or diyaudio (the collab tapped horn thread)

Away on extended leave.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:24pm
yeah the apache one is a very easy build. am still going to the shootout on the weekend although I don't have any details about where it is and I haven't sorted any transport to it yet Confused

I will do an akabak model of these plans tonight and try a few drivers. there's over 4 metres of horn in that box according to the notes

done a quick model of it in hornresp and akabak and they both say it is -3dB at about 30Hz and pretty flat up to 90Hz but only 99db sensitivity. def not the danley th115 IMO

Edited by snowflake - 19 May 2008 at 7:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>