Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" tapped horn plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jez_3phaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 11:38pm
C15XS :
The SD in the published TS param can't be right SD at 2706? I estimate 841cm sq.
Seems to be happy up to 750W.

The grey plot is a 15TBX100.

Edited by Jez_3phaze - 04 April 2012 at 8:37pm
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 12:05am
Try asking them about that sd:-)
Nice xmax for a tapped horn.

I just tried to sim large xmax drivers ciare 15.00SW & NDH 15-4, but what they might gain from the extended xmax i think they will lose in sensitivity

I have had these new-reconed pd.156 laying around for more than a year now, can't get rid of them, might as well stick them in some box..

Edited by tv00 - 03 April 2012 at 12:16am
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 12:46pm
i wonder if a longer narrower hornpath would cure the xmax problem?
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)
Powered by MC2 & XTA
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 1:55pm

xmax problem ? is there an issue with xmax in the THAM15 design that I'm not aware of ?

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:23pm

Hi Anders

According to hornresp there are some xmax issues , hers a screen print of what i have found

original driver B&C 15TBX100 driven at 1000w xmax plot

Driver i am going to use B&C 15PZB40 driven at 700w xmax plot
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)
Powered by MC2 & XTA
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 3:38pm
The "problem" is that most driver exceeds xmax before even reaching rms power (pd.156)

By the way Martinsson, can I get your advice in this thread:
http://forum.speakerplans.com/topic65384_post653817.html#653817
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 9:32am
Way to much emphasis is being taken of the Simms,  they can only give you a very rough ideal of the final results, only one way I am afraid to do it right, make sawdust.

Once you have built a few you soon get an handle on the primary design parameters.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 5:25pm
you don't HAVE to power drivers to their limits and most of these high xmax drivers have huge xlim specs before there is any damage to the coil.

If I remember correctly one way to reduce the maximum excursion and to flatten the response is alter the cross section areas so the horn expands slowly at the beginning and flares at the end.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 7:51pm
Quote Way to much emphasis is being taken of the Simms

I agree, this was discoussed alot in the beginning but it faded away eventually, it seems to be a issue of academical nature, I have yet to hear about this from any user out in the field.

I does not hurt to be aware of it, but one should also have a look at the situation in the field.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 6:02pm
Not in any of my builds/designs in the last couple of years (10 - 15 different designs), excursion was as severe as Hornresp simulated (partially due to music being a less severe signal then the one simulated). These designs were mostly hybrids, tapped horns and front loaded horns (kick).

Hornresp has it's own set of characteristics. There is basically a shift between what Hornresp predicts and reality. As the shift is relatively fixed HR is very usefull for designing and optimising a design. Sometimes however it's not so fixed, in either case you need to build it to be absolutely sure. Or build a few similar designs to be pretty sure.

Best regards Johan

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 9:10pm
Tongue

Edited by infrasound - 10 April 2012 at 9:11pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 9:12pm
Okay, okay it is 0.5 x Pi Cry

*edit: And needs alot more work

Edited by infrasound - 10 April 2012 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 19202122>