Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16a Plugs to 13a for small bar use

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justjake303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16a Plugs to 13a for small bar use
    Posted: 15 January 2020 at 4:45pm
Just wandering the best way to power 4 MC2 amps in a smaller environment that doesn't offer 16a power.
There are 2x E90s 1x E475 an 1x E100 all on 16a plugs.
What would be the best way to power these without tripping the fuses in the pub?
thanks
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 6:40pm
since I guess distros and panel tie ins arent an option

13a-16a jumper cables

if its possible to identify them power the e90s from different circuits

turn the ones with the highest inrush current on 1st

remember that a double 13a socket is rated at 20a, not 26a, not that should be a huge problem since you shouldnt be rinsing them, its a pub

other than that, without seeing the install/inspection cert and knowing what else is on the circuit its pretty much pot luck

and, Im sure it goes without saying, METER YOUR MAINS 1st (copyright shaggers)
LOUDER THAN LOUD
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 9:35pm
13-16A jumpers, or just change the plugs to 13a plugtops, easy.

lot of power for a 'small bar', suspect its barely going to get tickled!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

13-16A jumpers, or just change the plugs to 13a plugtops, easy.

lot of power for a 'small bar', suspect its barely going to get tickled!
Probably 2.5mm cable... No good for a 13a plug top.

I'd just make some adapters. Always useful. 
Justjake303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justjake303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

since I guess distros and panel tie ins arent an option

13a-16a jumper cables

if its possible to identify them power the e90s from different circuits

turn the ones with the highest inrush current on 1st

remember that a double 13a socket is rated at 20a, not 26a, not that should be a huge problem since you shouldnt be rinsing them, its a pub

other than that, without seeing the install/inspection cert and knowing what else is on the circuit its pretty much pot luck

and, Im sure it goes without saying, METER YOUR MAINS 1st (copyright shaggers)

ok thanks that kind of double confirms what someone had the idea of doing. They said the 2 smaller amps would run fine through adapters off the same double socket then try and get the e90s run-in from plugs as far away as possible. And with the smaller venue I could probably just leave one Channel from each e90 free so I'm not drawing too much.
Thank You

Edited by Justjake303 - 16 January 2020 at 11:20am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 3:04pm
sorry, I probably should have been clearer, I was giving you info on how to power them at worst case, not a more likely case

Ive just checked the specs rather than guessing

an E90 at full chat into a 4ohm load with an average crest factor draws an average of less than 8amps
the E475 under the same conditions draws an average of less than 3amps
and your e100 just over 8amps

so at full welly you are averaging around 27a.

were it my pub and you played at anywhere near that sort of volume, thus endangering my licence, youd find yourself in a back alley being reconfigured by some large gentlemen by the end of the 2nd tune

realistically, since youre going to be dialling the volume back considerably from that, you can PROBABLY run the whole lot off a double socket (although 2 would be better), especially if you stagger turning the amps on from biggest to smallest.

your real problem is finding out the limitations of the circuit youve connected to (after all, someone could have tapped in to a 6a lighting circuit for your socket - trust me, these things are found from time to time) and how compromised that is by other equipment sharing that circuit (oh, the deep fat fryer, the fridge and the coffee machine all share that circuit). thats information you can only find out from the venue
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Justjake303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justjake303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by godathunder godathunder wrote:

case-were it my pub and you played at anywhere near that sort of volume, thus endangering my licence, youd find yourself in a back alley being reconfigured by some large gentlemen by the end of the 2nd tune

realistically, since youre going to be dialling the volume back considerably from that, you can PROBABLY run the whole lot off a double socket (although 2 would be better), especially if you stagger turning the amps on from biggest to smallest.

your real problem is finding out the limitations of the circuit youve connected to (after all, someone could have tapped in to a 6a lighting circuit for your socket - trust me, these things are found from time to time) and how compromised that is by other equipment sharing that circuit (oh, the deep fat fryer, the fridge and the coffee machine all share that circuit). thats information you can only find out from the venue

Wicked sounds like my kind of pub love a bit of reconfiguring with a pint Big smile nice one sound that’s helped with my power concerns. Nice one :-)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2020 at 8:03pm
further clarity: the scenario was hypothetical; I dont run a pub (I do know a few scary large gentlemen though)

in fact, I shouldnt be allowed to run a bath unattended
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2020 at 7:34pm
After about 5a continuous, your sockets gonna get hot. But i used an e100 all night on half volume in a big pub,and the windows rattled nicely.  No hot plugs,  but was only driving 4 speakers off it.  My guess is I was doing 2 amps or so. 4 mc2's sounds like nuking an ants nest sorta thing.. 
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 10:59am
13A mains sockets are designed to run at 13A continuously, forever.
If they're getting hot, they're broken.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Radius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Radius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 3:46pm
Hey Chris, 

That may be so. But let's not forget the state of the wiring, and which regs were applied will vary. If the wiring is 50+ years old I wouldn't risk it. Technically the face plate might not be hot,but the metalwork behind it could be.. Advice came from a sparky. 
But advice is free and he might be exaggerating a little 
AKA the typo king...bear with me, my hands are big and the keyboard small....
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Radius Radius wrote:

But advice is free and he might be exaggerating a little 

exaggerating considerably. If a 13A plug couldn't handle a 13A load, it wouldn't be called a 13A plug. Your mate is either winding you up, or grossly misinformed.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>