Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18" and lowwww

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrsz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18" and lowwww
    Posted: 19 July 2019 at 2:47pm
Afternoon All,

Huge lover of all things bass and have been for years!, I built an 1850 horn with my dad when I was 11, it rocked but I had to decommission it due to size :(
I've spent some time poking around the forum loving the build posts.

I'm looking to take on a personal project and really would appreciate a little guidance, please. The choice of drivers and cab choices is quite unnerving.

Firstly, size / dimensions / weight is no issue at all, these cabs are going to permanently installed in a summer house and will not move for the foreseeable future. Yes, it will be TOTAL overkill, I fully understand that.. :)

Ideally, I am looking for a cab that drops very low and moves buckets of air it doesn't need to be overly punchy. I'm into hip-hop, trap, lots of long rolling lows. I plan to build two cabs, one to start with.
Again, I'm not particular about drivers either but would like an 18", I have a 2400 amp with lots of juice.
Complexity of build is not an issue either, I have a decent table saw, lots of precise woodwork experience and "some" patience.

If someone would be kind enough to recommend a build link that hits the brief, please; (18", power not an issue, size not an issue, drops very low, moves tons of air) I would be super grateful.

I'd also like to post my own build thread once things are underway!

Thank you all.. keep it low!! 

Sam.
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 3:08pm
Teadub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teadub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 4:22pm
Stipe's MS-18 mk2 could be worth a look. I have a pair and the depth still impresses me every time. Should sound sweet on hip hop too.

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 9:28pm
So you want something low and loud and size isn't an issue, you'll be wanting an eaw bh882 aka 'big bertha'; 

Smile
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 11:05pm
X1, or some tapped horn (e.g. keystone), or ROAR/HROAR or Paraflex

Check out brian steeles website,  he has a lot of information and documentation on his builds. He works very systematically, and has a certain nomenclature for his various designs (POC 1,2, 3 etc  poc=proof of concept)
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2019 at 11:20pm
How big is the room that you want it to play in HxWxL?
Don't test the champignon sound
vrsz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrsz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 2:29pm
hello everyone, thank you for the great input, I’m listing all the options to work out what do go for! So my room isn’t massive, 5x4x2m I fully understand that whatever I build will be total overkill, but I just love bass... I’m sure you all understand!

At present it’s either the Big Bertha or Cubo 18!

Thanks again please keep the suggestions flowing in!!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 4:08pm
In that size room you should just build a big, low tuned dual 18” reflex or a large tapped horn. A full size horn will be a waste and just upset the neighbours.
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2019 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

upset the neighbours.

and just how far away are the neighbours?

one of the problems with bass is that it doesnt like to stay where you put it.
LOUDER THAN LOUD
vrsz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vrsz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 3:11pm
Hello all, lovely day in the UK (for a change).

Yep, fully aware that what ever I build will be overkill for the intended space, I have very good neighbours who often pop over for a mini-rave which is cool.

For ease of build I'm looking at the Cubo Sub. I will mount the driver (magnet in chamber) for slightly higher output, thanks for everyone's assistance getting me to this point.

After some more research it would appear that many people are torn between drivers with some builders using PD1850s, some use PD186s, others use different brands and specs.
May I ask, is there any definitive "best" unit that will work in the Cube Sub, please?

Final question, please. This is definitely a newbie question. Would there be any advantage to be had by rounding / routing the journey that the air travels around the horn please, there are a handful of sharp bends, I wonder if curved edges could smooth the response at all?

Thanks again everyone! 

Sam.

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 5:57pm
Personally I like it with the 18Sound 18LW1400, as you're going with the magnet inside the chamber, I would go with a driver that has a Qes below 0.3 and a Vas below 300 L. So in this case the (new) 1850 over the (new) PD.186.

I like rounding of the corners because it looks cool but sound-wise it doesn't have any real advantages, as the dimensions are so small compared to the wavelengths of the (low) frequencies involved.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2019 at 6:00pm
I have a Faital 18XL1600 available if interested, should work nice in the cubo sub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>