Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180.5db Volvo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLsystems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2008 at 10:02pm
i dont like the blue paint job. 
Tip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2008 at 8:20pm
Its measured using the car audio industry's standard measurement tool - called a termlab.
The sensor is placed on the windscreen of the car in a certain position on the lower left hand side.

The speakers used in that car are very hard to find details for, but i would say they are about 95-96db sensitive.

This car is in the extreme class of db-drag, basically very few rules and no limits on power and drivers used ( although that vehicle used only 1 driver and 26krms of power which is not a lot by some vehicles standards ).

Its just basically a very very efficient 8th order bandpass design ( i think, the ones used previously were 6th order ) that is tuned to peak at a certain frequency inline with the cabins resonant peak ( which will be usually between 60-79 hz as the cabin space is so small ).  A massive amount of work and tuning and testing goes into a vehicle to make it this loud though, hence its louder then any before it.
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2008 at 9:28pm
Wow, that was extremely imformative, thank you very much for that info!
Tip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 12:04am

I just spent ages typing up a post to explain about extreme cars, but my computer crashed and i lost it all.

Here are a few pics of an extreme car being built, this done around 170db with 2 x 15's in a regular ported design and 20k of power.

Its since had a rebuild and does 171.7 db with 1 18 in a 4th order bandpass and 10k of power.

Sorry if some of the pics are a bit big.

Notice the windows are 3 inch bullet proof glass, the sub box baffle is 4 inch thick, the roof is mdf lined and 2 part foam is injected inside, its all very smooth when finished.  Also the cabin past the b pillar forward is completly seperate and sealed off from the rear of the car, and this coupled with the big strong dash create a small space for the drivers to fire into.  This allows the ported box to be tuned higher ( thus louder ) and raises the cabin peak higher too.  Its not uncommon to get a 30db box and cabin rise from an extreme car, and some have as much as 40db+.

Basically an extreme car is like a top fuel dragster, its built to be very loud for a short period of time ( hence the speakers take silly power cause they only play a single frequency for a few seconds at a time - its called a burp )

These cars are built to be very loud at a very narrow passband, or even a single frequency.  And as the cabin is so small and solid, this frequency is quite high.

The pics above are of a quite mild extreme car, some use all steel including the roof lining, speaker box and dash, have over 100,000 wrms of power, 50 big batterys, 12 speakers, concrete lining, the floor of the car cut out to house a battery tray etc etc.

Basically its just a showcase of who can build the loudest car at a single frequency bar none.

Big shout to rich w for the hard work he put into this car ( the loudest in the uk ) which stands at hundreds and hundreds of hours so far.

Anything else you guys wanna know just LMK, i have been in the sound off / car audio scene for many years now and have held a few record myself.

Edited by Tip - 11 January 2008 at 12:16am
tommysb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommysb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 12:39am
Very impressive. But even more pointless/impractical than MASSIVE pa rigs :P
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 8:55am

Cheers, i didnt believe that you could get 180dB out of one speaker, i assumed that report was bulls**t! so its like tommysb said- a one note highly efficient bandpass box. I'd be interested in the cpecs of the driver tho!!

Jake

darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 9:56am
Is the car pretty much airtight after being modded?

How to turn your car into a resonant chamber of doom Big%20smile
boycey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boycey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 10:59am
makes me think of that bit in "licence to kill" when the big baddie offs the bloke in that compression chamber thingy Dead

is it actually legal/possible to drive something like that while the bass is kicking out 170/180db?
the only thing more dangerous than a person who doesn't give a f**k is a person who gives a sh*t.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 11:02am
I would have thought you'd die if you were exposed to 180dB, or at least be seriously ill afterwards. I think the maximum for our atmosphere is around 192dB.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by boycey boycey wrote:

is it actually possible to drive something like that while the bass is kicking out 170/180db?

nope!!

certainly not legal, smoking while driving was recently made illegal in the uk, as was driving while listening to loud music. i don't think they'd even categorize 180db as loud music, in terms of being a distraction for other drivers i think this is comparable to a drive by shooting.

upside is you could re-direct the pressure through a port coming through the chassis and flatten any speed bumps that you take a dislike to.
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 6:19pm
Here is a post on max db

Here is a link showing db. Notice human tissue is damaged beyond 180db!

Edited by bmf2 - 17 January 2008 at 6:35pm
You say it's too loud-I say your hearing is too good
Jhodas View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhodas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

I would have thought you'd die if you were exposed to 180dB, or at least be seriously ill afterwards. I think the maximum for our atmosphere is around 192dB.

Isn't there a danger of heart failiure above 150 something?

Edited by Jhodas - 18 January 2008 at 7:39am
Until the Lions have their own historians, tales of hunting will always glorify the hunter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12