Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 Build Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1850 Build Question
    Posted: 20 June 2007 at 4:40pm
I have searched for this but couldn't find anything relating to the 1850. Basically i am going to start my first build within the week and the problem i have is:

do you have to drill all of the mitre connections together with screws?

in other words where the pieces join each other (some being pretty much straight) do they have to be reinforced with screws or will the glue and side panel screws hold them in place? Very basic possibly but i have seen build picks that have put screws in places where others haven't. I know it is what suits the user but i was hoping to find out whether they are neccessary when it may result in damaging the build.

many thanks

Oli
jethrocker View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2007 at 5:05pm
Some say that screws only serve to clamp together the panels while the glue sets and add little strength to the finished cab. I say that it's worth putting at least a few screws across every joint, it will pull everything together nice and tight and do away with any gaps (as long as your cuttings not completely on the p*ss). The general rule is a screw every 6" or so.
Verr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Verr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2007 at 10:21am
That makes sense the way you put it. many thanks for the feedback, it looks like now i will have to master the art of screwing  mitres together. due to some of the angles being virtually flat it will be a hard task.

nice one
 Post Reply Post Reply