Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1850 Horn vs. Martin WSX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jogge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2004 at 8:32pm
I've heard the WSX quite a lot and I must say it's one of the best sounding subs i've ever heard.  Haven't heard the Looney Bin though ...
That's why I was looking for someone who compared the two subs.

Reading through the replies I get the impression the Looney bin can compete with the WSX.

Do you need the use the Looney bin in stacks of at least 4 to get some really low end or can you get away with only 2 in a stack?
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.
rinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 1:45pm

has anyone got a plan for the WSX?

thanks,

Beelzedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 2:29pm

I found these on the net a while ago when checking out WSX's. They are some sketchy sketches, but they might be useful.

Enjoy.

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/WSX1.jpg
http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/WSX2.jpg

My name is a clever word play.
rinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 2:59pm

they're pretty good - cheers for that.

still working on the brunel. do you like hip-hop?

Beelzedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 3:21pm

Glad the plans are useful. It sounds a bit like I was slating them in previous posts which i didn't mean it to. They do push some proper air, and I think the horn length is longer than the 1850's so with a bigger driver they would sound tough.

Yeah, UK stuff though more than US. The likes of klashnekof, skinnyman (the white Mos Def!), Fallacy, Dizzee etc anything with grimey bass.

rinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 3:34pm

have you ever heard of noodles? (RollingLikeKingz / bristol lad)

I'm trying to sort something out with a swindon crew for brunel - prolly wont happen but it's worth a go. 

Beelzedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beelzedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 3:39pm
RollingLikeKingz sounds familar, but not Noodles. The devil is more a d'n'b man. Sounds good though. Its always worth a go, never know what mght happen. Good luck.
chilli View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2004 at 4:46pm

http://homepage.hispeed.ch/EnergyAudio/wsx.htm

teletoby from this forum has posted some pictures of the wsx's with void v18-1000 driver he's built from those plans..

janaardan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janaardan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2012 at 10:21am
I have a pair of PD1850 with  me in 1850horn. Im planning to use them in wsx after modifying a bit to fit the speaker. I play only dj dance  house trance and techno muisic. Which one of them is  better  for me in terms  of  depth attack  and punch?  1850 or  wsx. What shall i do? we got the festival of dance comming soon in weeks so  i need ur advice. We here are more  facinated by the punch in the chest so will wsx be able to do it alone from 45-130Hz. going low is not as important as the attacking punch on the chest area. 45Hz is quiet of for us with a long throw.
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:29am
hi there im new here in the forum..im really interested too about punchy basses in the chest and shakey the brain so i find out this topic...
i would like to find the better cabinet for this woofer:
https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/18-0/8/18lw2600

anybody could help me?
i like wsx more than 1850 but advice are accepted!
i found something about sbh but they dont give me freq response that im looking for..i hope to find the right cabinet for my project..i play tekno and techno..thank you guys
Toss Out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toss Out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:31am
im planning 4/6 subs 1850/wsx, 2 low martin audio 215 1000w 15" woofer always eighteen sound, and a pair of mid top..thank you so much!
Esc4pe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esc4pe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Toss Out Toss Out wrote:

im planning 4/6 subs 1850/wsx, 2 low martin audio 215 1000w 15" woofer always eighteen sound, and a pair of mid top..thank you so much!

You need to look at it from the other way, each cabinet is designed around particular drivers. You will be left with nothing but smiles using WSX in a block of 4+ but you want to use a tried and tested driver in that cabinet (due to WSX being so popular and around for a while there are a few options) or sim and compare params of your wanted driver in the cabinet to see if suitable. 

In my experience the 1850 cab makes a lot of noise when in big stacks but the depth and clarity of sound isn’t great when compared to a WSX. Not a huge issue when playing techno/tekno like mentioned but to my ears it would be WSX every day of the week.

One thing to mention with them is they are very hard work to use indoors and I wouldn’t recommend either for such use

Edited by Esc4pe - 30 November 2021 at 11:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>