Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

186 build questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 186 build questions
    Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:00pm
Hi,

We're starting to build some 186's today, just a couple of questions to ask before we get to the point when we need the answers :D

1. We want to attach handles somewhere to make them maneuverable, is there a best place to put them? obviously they don't want to be sticking into the driver or anything like that, but could their placement affect the sound quality of the speakers if they're in the wrong place?

2. Do we need to stuff the driver chamber at all?

Thanks
Tim
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 12:44pm
have a look at looniebins (on the PAP site) for handle placement ideas.

When I built 1850 horns I only made cut out handles in the triangular section at the corner of the horn end, this seems to do the job pretty well. while you can never have too many handles, because of the width of the cab you can't use handles on the sides for going through doors/up tight stairways. the lip at the front of the cab is a pretty good handle if you don't add full grilles.

No.
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2010 at 5:10pm
What imageoven said. If you want some idea of the build process, have a look at my pics here:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/modified-186-horn-build-pics-more-added-10-06-09_topic21015.html

I took the wadding out after the pics were taken, when I discovered that they aren't supposed to have any in.

More on page 3, showing the handle cutouts being done (a year later!)...

http://forum.speakerplans.com/modified-186-horn-build-pics-more-added-10-06-09_topic21015_post269456.html#269456
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
Timbadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 10:48am
Cheers guys. Nice job on your build wrighty, they look tasty! I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to cut over 45 degrees, then I saw your pic on the table saw..... nice one :D
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 11:17am
Yeah, just watch your fingers! A tenoning jig is the right thing to use, but I don't have one, so had to improvise...

In case you didn't notice, my bins are 100mm narrower than the standard design, (purely for storage reasons) so the access panel also goes the full width of the cab and I had to put some notches in the access panel battens.
Timbadd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbadd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2010 at 11:49pm
Yeah I noticed. I just stuck to the plans for mine, if I make any alterations it'll most likely go tits up! It's a bit of the pain in the ass not having a big enough table saw. The one we're usings about 4 foot wide, for some of the bigger panels there's nothing to rest it against, particularly annoying when trying to do the mitre angles!
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2010 at 11:13am
I've only got a fairly small saw too. I got B&Q to do all the cuts across the width of the 8x4 sheets of ply. I did most of the rest of the cuts on the table saw but had to do some with a circular saw mounted on a sliding rail (Portable Panel Saw from Axminster), where there wasn't enough distance between the blade and fence.
backlash View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 12:34pm
How are they coming on tim? Got paint on them yet?

Also, what you think of the XP5000? Bit big for what you need but you get an idea of the 3000 model.
According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Sound Hire
 Post Reply Post Reply