Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

186 Horn and Eminence Omega Pro 18C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 186 Horn and Eminence Omega Pro 18C
    Posted: 06 March 2013 at 10:55pm
Hi All,

I know the 8 ohm version of the Omega Pro is a known for the 186 Horn per Rog, but what about
the 4 ohm 18C version. The specs are a bit different, VAS is 22 cuft vs 19 with 8 ohm version.

Please advise, I need to order them soon, and an amp that puts out +800w at 4 ohms is easier to come by.

Thanks

ClackS02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClackS02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 2:17pm
I think this all depends on how you plan on setting everything up. 

i dont want to speak like a know it all !!! im am defo not! But ohm is resistance in effect! So the lower the resistance, the closer to short circuit!

This is why most larger 10k+ systems have 50 ohm amps!!!!!! 

But it all depends on your budget!

An amp putting out 1000watt rms at 10ohms will be MUCH more powerful (and in control) than that of 1000 watt rms at 2ohm.

Also, i find that a higher ohm will reduce waste of energy through heat in the amp and voice coil.

Feel free to shoot me down here :) just trying to be of some help :)
Trinidad_12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad_12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2013 at 3:06pm
Thanks for the reply ClackS02, I was more wondering about the volume requirements of the 4 ohms version, because they are higher than that 8 ohm, but what you said makes sense as well. We ended up going with the Omega Pro 18A which is the 8 ohm, and my friend is very happy with them. His amp pushes enough at 8 ohms to power the Omegas without having to use 4 ohm loads. Appreciate the reply though.

ClackS02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClackS02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 8:00am
this is good news! Glad you got things sorted!
 Post Reply Post Reply