Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound 18” Dual Subwoofer build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 7:56am
Very nice Clap
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:02am
Don't use silicon anywhere that's going to be painted, like screwholes. Paint don't stick to silicon. Nasty stuff, a simple acrylic sealant would do for sealing boxes and won't rot your cones with solvent emissions.

No need to glue screws, as the screwhole will pass through the glue layer (which will glue the screw).
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:22am
Also some silicone sealants give off acidic vapours when curing and this can attack the glues and certain rubbers used on drivers.
wilidapili View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:27am
Yeah I read about that, and the guy at my closest shop that sells silicone couldn't answer if the ones he had will give off these acidic vapours which is why I didn't buy any sealant as of yet. Acrylic sealant doesn't seem to be as long lasting as silicone, though. Hmm. 
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:57am
doesn't seem like you have any reason to expect any leaks. you've cut it properly.. glue and screws be grand. lovely build.

Edited by cravings - 27 September 2018 at 10:58am
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by wilidapili wilidapili wrote:

Acrylic sealant doesn't seem to be as long lasting as silicone
In a damp bathroom or dirty kitchen scenario, pehaps not.
Inside dry dark cabinets - not a problem.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 2:18pm

Yeah I read about that, and the guy at my closest shop that sells silicone couldn't answer if the ones he had will give off these acidic vapours which is why I didn't buy any sealant as of yet. Acrylic sealant doesn't seem to be as long lasting as silicone, though. Hmm. 

Some are marketed specifically as "neutral curing" - these should be ok.
Examples:

Also, see if you have a shop in town that caters to people who keep tropical fish - they often build aquaria using sealant and would need to have it free of acidic residue after curing to create a liveable environment for the fish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

Some are marketed specifically as "neutral curing" - these should be ok.
Examples:

Also, see if you have a shop in town that caters to people who keep tropical fish - they often build aquaria using sealant and would need to have it free of acidic residue after curing to create a liveable environment for the fish.

Thanks for this. He did have some to use in aquariums. Very small tube though = expensive. I'm starting to lean towards the acrylic sealant, since it can be painted on as well. 

Edited by wilidapili - 27 September 2018 at 2:21pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

doesn't seem like you have any reason to expect any leaks. you've cut it properly.. glue and screws be grand. lovely build.

This.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

This.

I really appreciate the nice words from everyone! I have a need/tendency to make it as good as possible with my skills, but I don't trust the outcome to be seamless even though that's what it looks like to the eye. Why not play it safe? LOL Also wondering about what to use to seal the driver to the baffle. I need to read up on that soon, will probably find a ton of different possibilities. 

Edited by wilidapili - 27 September 2018 at 10:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilidapili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:17pm
Today I made holes for the handles.

And took the cab apart to fix mistakes.

I screwed everything atleast 40mm from the corners, except 2 screws by mistake. Ofcourse both of these corners were cracked when I opened the box up, even though I pilot drilled them. I tried prying the cracks a bit open with a screw and inserted glue inside the cracks and the screw hole. 

I also accidentally screwed through the top at the completely wrong spot (was very tired LOL), so I routed out a 30mm diameter and 5mm deep spot and inserted a plug (perks of having a CNC - can whip up accurate jigs and other stuff)

So no gluing the cab together as of yet. My goal is to able to test the sound on Monday!

Edited by wilidapili - 27 September 2018 at 10:18pm
IainB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IainB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 10:29pm
Awesome job Smile would love to have a CNC milling machine, my recent attempts manually aren't as nice, filler is going to be my friend Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>