Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound BR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18sound BR
    Posted: 28 January 2021 at 8:05pm
Hello I am trying to find some info on the 18 sound duel 18 reflex cabs. These ones, http://www.eighteensound.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMTgvMTAvMjMvMTFfNDBfMDVfMjI0XzE4c291bmRfMThfZHVhbF9zdWJ3b29mZXJfa2l0LnBkZiJdXQ?fbclid=IwAR0m69irBv6B2tFz3Cz_t0RMhngSS_4Si3QWDUQIxcvpAlNrCqyCASEhhy8

Would PD1852 drivers work in them?
Is there a way to determine which drivers would work?
Do they work best with kicks above them? 

Many thanks
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 9:32pm
erm, why would you use the "wrong" drivers in a suggested/tried and tested design?

the way to determine options is educated simulations
any sub might work "best" with "kicks" depending on your specific requirements

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 10:14pm
Well, because I don't know they are the "wrong" drivers. That's why I'm asking. Mental, right?
I have some 1852s I could use and I could source this box with a little effort so I'm wondering if I should make the effort. 
Educated simulations, ok thanks mate.
As I said I'm trying to find some info so I don't have to ask stupid questions any more. I thought learning was what this place was about. 
I don't know much about the box, is it sub only usually or does it play nice up to 180hz or thereabouts and so wouldn't require a dedicated kick box? 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 10:34pm
not meant to come across rude by any means..

imho, no low tuned cab would do "180hz" well on its own, its just not possible physically..
(at least thats what i have experienced the last 15years)

so you are looking for the best option to use the 1852s you got already?

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 10:41pm
Yes, that's right, i am thinking how best to use 1852s. But those cabs are available so I thought it was worth investigating. 
Indoor use. I've a few options with loaded kick bins I could put together, so that's why I wondered if these cabs are usually used together with kicks. 
Many thanks 

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 10:50pm
That design is supplied by 18 sound to suit one of the drivers they manufacture. Its out there to help sales a little i guess. If you read the enclose design document it lists the driver its designed for. 

Its possible to simulate reflex cabinets in WINisd. You'll need to look up the thiele small parameters for your drive and read the winisd help files. Takes a little patience, but once you do it you will understand the trade offs much better.  
You could then either modify this design or make your own from scratch

What tops are you using? 
Music type?
Crowd size?
 Indoor / Outdoor?

All those questions should help people narrow down the advice they give you. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 11:03pm
1852s should work well in rather compact reflex cabs, according to stated specs/tsp,
they are a bit weird spec wise though imo..
plenty of motor power (BL), cones/suspension are too light ( high fs) for low low tuning though, seems "ideal" for large flhs and bphs - one way bass options, covering 40ish to 120ish hz..

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 11:05pm
Right ok, thanks. I had a look at the thiele small parameters and some matched 1852 and others were only a little off from their suggested driver. That was an encouraging start, I thought.
I'd use Mt102.
Indoor
Eventually, 2 stacks, 4 PD1852 per side
No specific music type really but it'd be nice to have some flexibility 
Ideally it'd be able to cover a few 100 people.  
At this point though, i've simply got an opportunity to use these drivers with 18sound BR (also maybe an 18sound duel BPH) so i was curious if anyone thought it might work or could point me to some more info on the box. 
It is quite difficult to search for these boxes in the forum search. At least im struggling to find info so far. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 11:15pm
with mt102s covering 200ish hz up you`d need "kicks" anyways to close the gap imo..

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2021 at 2:55am
Did you just buy these drivers? PD says they are suitable to a wide range of enclosures but in reality they aren't that suitable to BR, they would "work" in a small enclosure but they don't produce much output.. actual in box sensitivity is 96dB below 100hz so a pair of them won't even make 130dB at rated power.
The 18 sound design is way to big for these drivers, over twice as big as it needs to be.
My suggestions are either sell these drivers and buy something better suited to BR enclosures or find a horn design of some type that these can be used in.

Edited by Conanski - 29 January 2021 at 2:56am
Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2021 at 11:28am
Thanks for this. 
No i didn't just buy them, they have come out of another box (not sure which). 
I think i will take the advise of trying to sim and seeing if i can come up with a box. And hopefully have some fun. 
I think i read somewhere that someone was using these drivers in large scoops. Maybe super scoop or polar bear. There doesn't seem to be a lot of write ups on them. That i've found at least. 
Many thanks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2021 at 3:17pm
they do work in scoops, afaik Sinai Sound uses them in their PolarBear Scoops :)
 Post Reply Post Reply