Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

18sound kit 18 sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by LjudLahger LjudLahger wrote:

Yesterday we loaded the cab and did a test by our ears.
The bigger one did go lower and with a little bit more spl under 50hz.
The 18sound cab had more spl over 50hz and sounded more musical
and punchier at music. The bigger one had bigger cone movement too.

Really don't know yet wich cab I perfer yet. More testing to do :-)

Cabinet gain due to not having a very flat frequency response will boost frequencies above 50 Hz. Typically, when you are aiming for a really low response, your mid range cabinets must be able to cover all the upper bass (above 60 Hz) frequencies to make up the loss of the sub woofer. Also, observe the f3 listing in Bass Box Pro. If the driver is stating -3 dB @ 55 Hz as the box gets bigger, despite your fb is tuned lower, the loudspeaker cannot achieve anything below 55 Hz with great efficiency.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Cabinet gain due to not having a very flat frequency response will boost frequencies above 50 Hz. Typically, when you are aiming for a really low response, your mid range cabinets must be able to cover all the upper bass (above 60 Hz) frequencies to make up the loss of the sub woofer. Also, observe the f3 listing in Bass Box Pro. If the driver is stating -3 dB @ 55 Hz as the box gets bigger, despite your fb is tuned lower, the loudspeaker cannot achieve anything below 55 Hz with great efficiency.

Best Regards,

True! Very interesting! Thought that reflex was easy peacey, but noo :-)
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 9:11pm
Had another go today and played mainstream tracks.

18sound cab are on its way out ;-)

The upper boost give me no choice, have to cut them at 80hz or it will sound kicky in a bad way. A too slow kick that trying under stress and pain get the tones out. Fail...

My new cab sound much better. Gives the trousers vibrations all the time and can be cut at 100-110hz. does not really matter what material. This is due to less muddy kick and lower response. With rock and pop a +3db at 90hz eq gives a nice punch without sounding too punchy or muddy.

I'm really happy with my progress and next will be together with my mid/high cab.

And later on in a bigger place because all the snow :-)

Thanks for reading!
rish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 11:16am
Hi.

which is your new cab?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by rish rish wrote:

Hi.

which is your new cab?

183L tuned 35hz with pd.186 :-)
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 12:08pm

There is a thread that I made on the General Board. It offers many members posting youtube links to various tracks that offers a lot of emphasis below 30 Hz. It is a nice way to evaluate how low your subs can go. I rarely make threads so the topic should be the first one to pop up if you do a search under my name. 

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2013 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

There is a thread that I made on the General Board. It offers many members posting youtube links to various tracks that offers a lot of emphasis below 30 Hz. It is a nice way to evaluate how low your subs can go. I rarely make threads so the topic should be the first one to pop up if you do a search under my name. 

Best Regards,  

Thank's! Will look it up, pronto ;-)

Maybe tomorrow or sunday the test will be of.

Edited by LjudLahger - 08 March 2013 at 7:24pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2013 at 5:02pm

Test in a corner. I like the new bigger sub, to the left.
A good day!

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123