Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19 billion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19 billion
    Posted: 20 February 2014 at 4:47pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:05pm
And they turned down a one billion offer from Google last year! If I had anything that someone offered me one billion for (let alone nineteen billion), I would've said yes straight away!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:27pm
Only 25% is in cash, the rest shares. A mere 5 bn give or take so nothing to get excited about.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:32pm
I know that I am an old fart but IMHO this encapsulates a lot of what is facked in modern society. Folks that really enrich society often get very little and then there is this crap.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

I know that I am an old fart but IMHO this encapsulates a lot of what is facked in modern society. Folks that really enrich society often get very little and then there is this crap.

Tony

Thumbs Up
"what!?"
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:53pm
the main thing people seemed to like about whatsapp was that it wasn't facebook LOL
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2014 at 9:11pm
Hah yeah, I'd rather pay for a sleek app like Whatsapp, than deal with Failbook bloat for free
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by app app wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

Tony

Thumbs Up

Well it is sort of hard to quantify the amount that whatsapp has enriched the world, it is a hugely popular application used globally. But I do agree that this is silly money.

If it's any consolation then Facebook is very likely doing a Yahoo, i.e. buying up anything that they think will make them more relevant again.

Edit: Something else I just considered - obviously that much money for an application that is well executed but simple would be silly, but when you consider how many people use whatsapp (hundreds of millions) the cost per user starts to approach a sensible level. It's more about buying access to those people and extending facebook to them than it is purely about the application. Still don't think its a good idea but it makes it a lot more reasonable to understand.

Edited by odc04r - 21 February 2014 at 9:47am
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2014 at 10:37pm
I think its the scale that's so incredible, literally billions of people available online.

Communication has become truly global and so has the market for innovative products that enable it.

The old hippy in me likes to think it could be a manifestation of the age of Aquarius.

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 10:01am
The young cynic in me thinks that it is a shrinking company buying more eyes whilst removing and monetising the competition Big smile

But it is true that we live in an amazing time compared to 50 years ago.
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

But it is true that we live in an amazing time compared to 50 years ago.

Ermm
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2014 at 7:10pm
Kim Dotcom is planning to make a totally secure video communication program.Like skype but secure.Another great nerd from FI.The other being Linus Torvalds.Check this interview!

"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>