Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1983 MAGAZINE I REMEMBER SO WELL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 MAGAZINE I REMEMBER SO WELL
    Posted: 20 March 2015 at 7:27pm
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Studio-Sound/80s/Studio-Sound-1983-05.pdf

APRS DAYS Clap
IM SO SECRETIVE BUT I CANT TELL YOU WHY
London Sound1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote London Sound1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 8:52pm
Hi

I've still got a stack of these going back to early 70's along with other mag's of the same period.
I really want to do something with them.

Ian

We know what most of the knobs do

http://www.soundengineer.co.uk
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2015 at 2:59am
Got oddles of magazines over the years that i don't read no more but cant throw awayGeek
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2015 at 10:42am
[QUOTE=TRE4U2NV]http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Studio-Sound/80s/Studio-Sound-1983-05.pdf

Loads of work involved in scanning and converting these things to PDF's but I'm so happy you did! Clap

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2015 at 2:00pm
I had pretty much every issue from 1972 onwards - when I bought my first flat I threw the lot out along with all my copies of Beat Instrumental and others. I used to love re-reading them even years after issue date - it was amazing the changes that happened in the business in only a few years (look at the changes in the last 10 years).
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 1:34am
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

I had pretty much every issue from 1972 onwards - when I bought my first flat I threw the lot out along with all my copies of Beat Instrumental and others. I used to love re-reading them even years after issue date - it was amazing the changes that happened in the business in only a few years (look at the changes in the last 10 years).

i still do every now and then does anyone remember the first sampler at aprs show i was sitting there in amazement at a 3 second sample that had about half a booth worth of computer to do it one was a fairchild the other was a sinclaivier iirc  Geek
TRE4U2NV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRE4U2NV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

[QUOTE=TRE4U2NV]http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Studio-Sound/80s/Studio-Sound-1983-05.pdf

Loads of work involved in scanning and converting these things to PDF's but I'm so happy you did! Clap

if someone want to scan my collection to put up on net as a archive then feel free to get in touch  from home and studio recording to stage online
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 1:04pm
Does anybody remember Ken Dibbles loudspeaker chassis reviews that appeared in International Musician magazine in the '80's?
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Does anybody remember Ken Dibbles loudspeaker chassis reviews that appeared in International Musician magazine in the '80's?
I'm sure I read (maybe here) that the reviews were one of the reasons the magazine folded. No advertiser likes their product being cast in a light that it anything but perfect. I think earlier reviews of equipment were on individual items - no comparisons - so if the product on test say threw up a distortion measurement of 5% under certain conditions most non-technical (as most were in those days) would think 'that's probably ok' whereas in a group test if all the others hit 2% under the same conditions people would probably steer away from that product, all other things being equal. 
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 9:01pm
You are probably right regarding International Musician and the reviews. It was certainly an interesting read at the time and most components of that period seemed to been reviewed at some point.

Seems like very little exists on the internet relating to the magazine let alone it's reviews but I know they carried extensive advertising so anything that impacted on it would have been detrimental.
 Post Reply Post Reply