Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

19mm ply for Scoops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amarusia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 19mm ply for Scoops
    Posted: 15 October 2013 at 8:43pm
Hey everyone! I'm going to use MDF ply to make 2 super scooper bins. The proble is that the plans have been made for 18mm ply, and here where i live, in Spain, I can use only 19mm MDF ply.
I have no idea about modyfing the plans for 19mm Confused
Could someone help me with modyfing the plans?
http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=18superscooper
Thank you! :)

Edited by amarusia - 15 October 2013 at 8:45pm
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 9:06pm
one mm wont make any diffrence to the sound if it were me id just build to the plans.

whats mdf ply ? Confused 
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 9:09pm
Spain isnt a third world country look harder and you will find 18mm birch ply.
amarusia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amarusia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 9:55pm
@RUS Medium Density Fiberboard.
I think that 1mm would make a huge difference on plans.
@Sypa There is no problem with getting 18mm brich ply but we we have to use mdf ply because its cheaper.
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 10:13pm
I'm with rus that little 1mm difference won't make a huge difference to sound and the plans wouldnt be too hard to adjust for 19mm I wouldn't say.

I personally would save for the 18mm birch in the long you'll be alot happier you saved.
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 10:28pm
Never heard of MDF ply??? what is this? do you mean 18mm MDF with one faced with 1mm  veneer?
Same stuff they use to make those fancy hifi speakers?
Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 11:57pm
1mm will make no difference to the sound altho your gonna need to re work the plan to 19mm, would recommend just taking 1mm of all the internals to start with and go from there 
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 8:25am
There are Manufacturers using ply in Spain, so it is available. When you eventually drop the cab, which you will, you will be glad you used Ply.
cassiya View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 9:08am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

There are Manufacturers using ply in Spain, so it is available. When you eventually drop the cab, which you will, you will be glad you used Ply.

Are you in the habit of dropping your cabs Tony? Next time you decide to drop a few, can you drop them outside my front door?Thumbs Up
Just because you got more boxes that don't make you a man....
PinHole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinHole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 9:47am
If you really want to save money and nerves build them out of proper plywood. For fixed installation may be OK but on road NO. Learned it harder way - from personal experience. MDF is really not worth building effort if cabinet will be moved around frequently.

Artical Kulcha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artical Kulcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 11:17am
Had/Seen plenty of MDF cabs use on fesitvals,carnival's inside/outside soundsystems, been fine and on the road for donkeys years, its how you look after them...
PinHole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinHole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 1:00pm
Yes, can be used of course, but one mistake or drop from even little as single stair ~20cm as effect will give completely smeared corner turned into cardboard or in other case nice deep crack through middle of MDF panel .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>