Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st build, advice needed please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st build, advice needed please!
    Posted: 05 November 2009 at 10:35am
Hi,

I'm wanting to build a HD15. It will only be used in my garage for occasional parties and to suppliment 2 large speakers I already have.

The amp I will be using is a Monocor PA-5480 5 zone amp. It can be used as a 1x 480w RMS @8ohm output, so im wanting to use this amp for now.

I have a few questions before I get underway and start building.

1) I was going to use a passive crossover rather than a low pass filter in the cab so that at a later date I can hook a tweeter unit to this to make a full range speaker. Is this normally how it is done? I dont want to get in to an active crossover etc yet, maybe in the new year.

2) If the amp is 480watts and the HD15 is 600w (kappa says 600w in the spec) am I going to be damaging anything or will it just be a bit quieter?

Sorry if these are complete newb questions. Any advice welcomed

Cheers!
Neil

Edited by herke - 05 November 2009 at 1:52pm
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 2:12pm
Hi,

I have been doing more digging and have scrapped the crossover idea. I will now just use a lowpass filter and in the future get an active crossover and a seperate amp for hi frequencies.

So, basically all I need to know now is if I will be causing any damage to the amp or cab if I have a 600w cone and a 480w amp (8ohm)
Many thanks
Neil
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by herke herke wrote:

So, basically all I need to know now is if I will be causing any damage to the amp or cab if I have a 600w cone and a 480w amp (8ohm)
Many thanks
Neil
No you won't damage anything by just using less amplification power than the woofer can handle. Only if you try to push things too hard and start running the amplifier in clip, you can easily destroy a woofer. Keep it from clipping and you'll be fine. (That is if you use the HD15 for the specified frequency range)

Edited by Teunos - 05 November 2009 at 3:04pm
Best regards,
Teun.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 3:22pm
ok that makes sense.

Most of the low pass passive filters I have seen have been at 120hz so I was going to use something like that
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 3:25pm
just get a £60 behringer active Xover. so much more flexible than a passive :). means you're ready for upgrading straight away! (you'll need it anyways later)

BEHRINGER CX2310 SUPERX PRO

Behringer CX2310 SuperX Pro - stereo 2 way/mono 3 way crossover with subwoofer output, 24dB/octave, phase switch for each output, switchable 25Hz sub filter for each input, ALPS potentiometer. Dimensions: 19" x 1U. 

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_cx2310_super-x_pro.htm

get it Tongue

subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 3:28pm
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:29pm
yeah that looks good. I thought they were a lot more money than that!

Im hoping to have a go at building the cab this weekend as the missus is away and I have lots of powertools...

Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 4:52pm

ok that makes sense.

Most of the low pass passive filters I have seen have been at 120hz so I was going to use something like that
With ,,using it for it'sspecified frequency range'' I mainly meant that if you use it below cut-off frequency of the cabinet, cone excursion will go up very fast. Making a HD15 do 50Hz (which it won't even produce properly) with 500watts of power could blow out the driver.
Best regards,
Teun.
herke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:37pm
would I be able to protect against that with an active crossover?
So basically you need to cut everything under say 55 and over 120?
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 5:46pm

would I be able to protect against that with an active crossover?
So basically you need to cut everything under say 55 and over 120?

yes
DjMidKnight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjMidKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 2:19am

yes, you set the sub out to (id say 60hz atleast) and then turn the low out point to 120(might want to go a little higher like 140-180) XLR out to RCA or whatever your amp needs for input, take the high out to your main speakers, that would be the proper way to do it.

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 12:55pm
It should probably be pointed out that the HD15 is not designed to be used singly. 1 cab on its own won't go very low. a reflex cab might be a better choice?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>