Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1st soundsystem. Snapped push term. on PHL driver
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1st soundsystem. Snapped push term. on PHL driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st soundsystem. Snapped push term. on PHL driver
    Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:14pm
Hi everyone!

I have followed this forum on and off for years and finally I have gotten around to putting together my very first soundsystem.

I have...
2x Shermann Audio GX-CM5 3-way cabs.
Thomann 218 active sub (mk1 I think)
2x QSC RMX 850s (1 per midtop doing bi-amp)
Wharfedale XO-204X crossover (okay for now)
Soundcraft Spirit M4 desk

Also as spare stuff I have a QSC ISA 450Ti and a BSS EPC 780 that both channels died on a long, long time ago!

My question here is... as I took the drivers out of 1 of the Shermann cabs, the push-on terminal that the spade/banana plug type connector goes into on the driver has snapped. As in the phots below.

How on earth do I go about repairing this?

I really appreciate your advice in advance as i thought i knew all the theory and have quickly come to realise I have no clue at all on any practical matters!

Much love,
Dan.

Edited by shroomz - 01 June 2023 at 7:16pm
shroomz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:14pm
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:19pm
Can you solder wires onto the broken terminals? Then join the wires to where the banana plug are, without the banana plugs. Alternatively you could replace the terminals but that could mean messing around with the tinsel wires which can be tricky. 

Edited by Pinyorouk - 01 June 2023 at 7:20pm
shroomz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:21pm
Thanks for your reply.. I am useless with soldering but could possibly get a mate to do it for me.

I did want to try and avoid this and perhaps repair/replace the push terminals as I do like the principle of them.

How would I remove them from the driver chassis if I were to go this route?
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 7:58pm
Look on the underside of the terminals. There's probably a nut. Unless you know what you are doing I wouldn't mess around with the thin tinsel wires going to the cone. They have a tendency to break if not soldered correctly. This breaking often happens mid gig.

Edited by Pinyorouk - 01 June 2023 at 7:59pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:05pm
shroomz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:51pm
Thanks all - I might just have to cut the connectors off and have a go at soldering the wire to the terminals. Maybe brace the slack wire with some cable ties?

I'll have to look again, but from what I remember when I took the driver out to see what it was.. the lead from the internal xover was so bloody short causing it to break in the first place. :D

Nevermind, i'll get this sorted as these are nice sounding cabs (mostly) .. they measure pretty damn flat 150/200ish-5k... then there is a steep rise +6dB to 10k that falls off at the extreme high end as you might expect. The top end does not sound that nice but if I EQ that area down the cabs sound loud and balanced.

I wonder if the compression drivers were changed at some point (they are loaded with Eminence APT-50 8ohm comps). The mid driver is the original Audax unit.. I am thinking that maybe the original comps would have been 16ohm?

..or a different unit entirely. Does anybody know what Shermann originally loaded their 6.5"mid and 1"cd horn combo with?

-Dan
shroomz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 8:55pm
Photos of the cabs and whole system

Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 9:37pm
Where are you located? I've got a PHL graveyard in my loft. Could probably take the correct bits off one of the ones with a slipped magnet if you're nearby.
shroomz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shroomz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2023 at 10:12pm
That would be amazing mate.. i'm based in Essex but regularly travel up and down the country. Whereabouts are you based?

I would be willing to pay for a courier etc so you don't have to faff about posting things.

PS: You may know... the 15" cones have a sort of creeking sound if you push them in and out. They seem to play okay though when I did crank the level a bit there was somewhat of a ragging/worbling sound (best I can describe it sorry) from the lower notes. This was with them HPF at 100Hz. Does this point to a defect of any kind? I understand they are very old cabinets.

-Dan.

Edited by shroomz - 01 June 2023 at 10:24pm
alglw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alglw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2023 at 1:23pm
Hf 1” was selenium or beyma.

Phl 15” by your description is suffering from overdriven.
Recone at that age is not viable.

Replacement suggestion is Faital pro 15fx560.

Apt was probably due to selenium spares being no longer made.

Suggest beyma cd 10f / n   

alglw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alglw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2023 at 1:26pm
Mid was audax. Cabs are over 28 years of age.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>