Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.1 passive home system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasjahsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.1 passive home system
    Posted: 11 December 2021 at 2:48pm
Hi, i'm looking for some advice on passive speaker/woofer setup. I think i probably want a 2.1 passive system (to run my turntable off as well as through aux connection. i have an amp) as i worry that bookshelf speakers alone wouldn't give enough bass. is that a valid concern or are there some that could do it? do i have to worry about crossover if i add a woofer or do they tend to have them built in? 
any views much appreciated. i'd like to know what i can do for ~£300. thanks!

oren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 10:45pm
This would be your best option in terms of ease  of setup and budget.  Just plug and play . https://www.thomann.de/gb/fun_generation_satmix_2.1.htm perfect for what your looking for to be honest and only a tenner more than what price limit you had
Music is nice..
rasjahsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasjahsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 5:20pm
Ah that looks great, but i fear it's just too big for my space. Also it's an active system right, but I can't work out if you could hook up a record player to it directly? (Sorry if that's very ignorant.) If you can, do you know of anything similar that's a bit smaller?
Thanks!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 8:42pm
Well you say you want a passive speaker setup .... but for a 2.1 setup you'll need a 2.1 amplifier (or one that can be configurd as 2.1). A 4-channel amp with 2 channels bridgeable would do fine, for instance. .... but then you'd also need a active crossover.

That setup from Thomann would likely be fine (and make a lot of sense), but if you want to connect a "bare" record player (i.e. connect directly to the pickup cartridge) you're gonna need a little pre-amp with RIAA correction (at least for standard magnetic cartridges). Those little pre-amps can be had for not too much (£10-£15 mebbe) unless you want hi-fi nut/purist ones ... in which case better start investigating a mortgage on your house :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
rasjahsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasjahsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 10:53pm
ok perhaps i'm over-thinking things a lot. i already have a set of active speakers that i am quite happy with. i didn't realise there was a way i could make them work with the record player. they just have an aux input, but could i just get a pre-amp with an RCA to aux connector, and play that way? e.g. picking the first one i see, something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Compact-assorted/dp/B000H2BC4E/ ?
thanks again and sorry this is probably extremely basic!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 4:19pm
Yup - thats the kind of thing. If your turntable has 2 x RCA connectors, all you need is a pre-amp like that berry one + a 2 x RCA -> "aux" cable (I assume by "aux" you mean a stereo 3.5mm jack ?)
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
rasjahsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasjahsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2021 at 6:00pm
thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply