Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2" tractrix horn, any interest?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:39am
Hopefully have a 4590 here soon so that could be arranged when you next pop down :)

Do you guys think bracing is better than dampening material? Structurally I can't see how you could compromise it strength wise as long the driver is supported in its box, I'd like to see the outside wrapped using sorbothane tape instead. Would do more for resonance than braces I'd expect. Its not cheap however so I think a measured comparison is in order. if i can source it here in the uk that is.

Failing that a few mm of spray on silicone , could be an effective solution, what do you think?

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 13 May 2017 at 2:43am
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:21pm
Hello , never heard of sorbothane before, for damping uses what about using paint on roofing mastic? Thick as like me !
Been thinkink of making some clones from a horn that I have a pair of, I think that they are JBL clones made from mdf, three 18mm layers thick, the only way I could do it is to separate the top and bottom sections and make the mould from those then I'd have to join both sections together again. I'll see if I can get some pics of them put on here later ( they're loaded with Coral M104 drivers) Goin to try to make em look like carbon fibre kevlar type of thing, like the interior of Ferrari Enzo. Been wanting to do this for at least the last three years but haven't got around to it yet.
I hope those horns sound as good as they look, which I believe they will.
Cheers.
Will
WILLZTHRILLZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLZTHRILLZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:23pm
Sorry for taking this thread off-track.
Will
SouthwestCNC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:53pm
Mould number 2 looking very good. Configured for vacuum infusion of fiberglass over hand lay up. It will receive a moulded silicone blanket that makes this a two part full mould for smooth finish inside and out, and it's first test horn produced with it tomorrow :) very excited! watch this space!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 12:01am
Originally posted by WILLZTHRILLZ WILLZTHRILLZ wrote:

Hello , never heard of sorbothane before, for damping uses what about using paint on roofing mastic? Thick as like me !
Been thinkink of making some clones from a horn that I have a pair of, I think that they are JBL clones made from mdf, three 18mm layers thick, the only way I could do it is to separate the top and bottom sections and make the mould from those then I'd have to join both sections together again. I'll see if I can get some pics of them put on here later ( they're loaded with Coral M104 drivers) Goin to try to make em look like carbon fibre kevlar type of thing, like the interior of Ferrari Enzo. Been wanting to do this for at least the last three years but haven't got around to it yet.
I hope those horns sound as good as they look, which I believe they will.
Cheers.
Will

Roofing mastic is not a bad idea. Part of using vacuum infusion involves creating a silicone blanket which using a special spray system that mixes the 2 part silicone, thinking about using it for dampening too as you can get a pretty good finish on it.

If I'm following you correctly you can't really use the mdf horns as a master to copy easily as they would need a resin or gel coat finish on them to take a surface from and get a good release and the mdf must be prepend correctly or what ever finish is on it may not be stuck well enough. If you do attempt it take a very thin fiberglass moulding from it then once released make it thicker to make your plug.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 24 July 2017 at 12:03am
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:54am
Clap
Best regards,
Teun.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:18pm
Very happy right now. This system is super accurate infused resin under 7 ton of pressure :) . And mould is perfect, front flange perfectly flat front and back. Very impressed.

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 7:15pm
Whow, just saw that on face, nice to see people still posting in here. Still hoping for facebook to be all gone one nice morning :-)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 7:55pm
Outstanding!!
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 9:20pm
Looks great....

Dupe...

Dupe...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthwestCNC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

Whow, just saw that on face, nice to see people still posting in here. Still hoping for facebook to be all gone one nice morning :-)

Yes 51 likes and 2 comments zzz. This forum has been met an unjust disfortune by a few, however I have always said that this is the place to have questions answered without judgement and the sinsister agendas of the few. Let's hope they have seen the error of the ways.. being, the year of the ninth wave and all that, and things pick up. but without a doubt if you want to learn, Facebook is not the place.

Edited by SouthwestCNC - 31 July 2017 at 10:13pm
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 7:42am
Great!! Thumbs Up
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>