Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 x mid cone theory?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opus jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 x mid cone theory?
    Posted: 16 August 2006 at 5:04am

So... I'm building 2 x Mid/top box with 2 cones, Infinite Baffle. and would like to know the audiophile theory. I appreciate that having 2 vertical mounted cones for mid already has comb filter problems, although these appear to be minimal.

main questions are to do with each cone having its own chamber, or all sharing a common chamber, and what effect does larger and smaller chambers have on mid? Also, does porting have any tonal effects on mid, or is just for bass driver control.
bass box stuff seems to be irrelevent, but i do have access to clio, for measuring, when they're done.

Cheers.
ps this is a personal project, not work.
Improvised Hardware Music http://vimeo.com/user9389813/videos
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2006 at 7:18am
Why two?If you cross them low to tweeter enough the comb filtering wont occur.

Sharing a chamber is fine,but two smaller chambers might have resonances that are higher in frequency.

Yes porting can have effects on the mid,port resonances that dont appear on t/s modeling (1/4wave tline resonances etc)

Consider non parallel wall enclosure,alot of the energy reflects back out the cone from inside the box.

Edited by tb_mike - 16 August 2006 at 7:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply