Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21" reflext enclosure needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21" reflext enclosure needed
    Posted: 02 December 2020 at 8:35pm
I'm going on holiday in January but in about Febuary or March i'm wanting two 21" reflex enclosures made, painted, handles, speakon sockets and grilles, painted black all the enclosure and grilles. Basically these plans are what i'd like built :
S-21LEX
http://www.beyma.com/en/enclosure-designs/ - http://www.beyma.com/en/enclosure-designs/

But i'd like handles on the side, castors aren't a big problem i'll be using a wheel board my mate made from plywood and attached castors to it. Is anyone able to do this professionally and give me a price for the two enclosures? I'll be buying the drivers when I get back from holiday.

Thanks.

Edited by Mel_Gibson - 02 December 2020 at 8:39pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 9:17pm
Personally I would not go for that particular design.
Ports are kind of small (definitely for triangle shaped ones). For such drivers I would look for designs with ports >800 cm2 slot/round. 
Mel_Gibson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 9:51pm
That enclosure was designed by Beyma themselves so I should think they know whether it's good enough, and many pro manufacturers have triangle ports which aren't actually very big. Martin Audio WS18X, EV QRX-218, RCF SUB-8002AS to name three out of many.

Edited by Mel_Gibson - 02 December 2020 at 9:58pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:04pm
Not one of them uses a high power 21" 14mm xmax driver.
Look at the current offerings of big pro manufacturers like LA,PK, Meyer, JBL etc. 
They use huge ports for a reason. That triangle ports have more problems regarding to port compression (which changes tuning and therefore large signal performance) is a fact.

Still every design is made out of making compromises. Beyma chose for a simpler and easier port layout.
What you do with this info is all up to you Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:09pm
I've emailed Beyma to see what they say as they designed the plans for the specific Beym 21LEX1600nd driver and they measured the response of the box loaded with the driver using pink noise with a 6db crest factor.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 10:20am
One thing to bear in mind is that you haven't put your location down, not even which country.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 11:22am
it's yet another account for djteknovibe / Jack_The_Ripper / richard stringer / Fred_Dibnah / richardstringer1993... so he's in Boston in Lincolnshire.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 1:43pm
I live in Peterborough sorry i'll put my location on my profile now. I don't mind about ports not being triangular but I just figured Beyma should know what shape and sized ports would work best as they design the enclosures for their own drivers. 

I've seen on Youtube people have used Beyma, RCF, B&C etc...drivers to build their own subs and as far as I could see most are bottom rectangular ports. 

Edited by Mel_Gibson - 03 December 2020 at 1:46pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 2:51pm
The Beyma designs are compromised. Its was a choice on their behalf. Going for a different port would be more difficult which then again costs more money.

9/10 times the youtube designs aren't particularly good. Most are really garbage.

A good design will cost time (and knowledge), after that you need to test and verifiy which again can take a lot of time. Maybe watch the enclosure design page of B&C for a while, they just put out some new designs and more are coming.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

The Beyma designs are compromised. Its was a choice on their behalf. Going for a different port would be more difficult which then again costs more money.

9/10 times the youtube designs aren't particularly good. Most are really garbage.

A good design will cost time (and knowledge), after that you need to test and verifiy which again can take a lot of time. Maybe watch the enclosure design page of B&C for a while, they just put out some new designs and more are coming.

How would you say they're compromised?

When I said Youtube I didn't mean people who make designs and upload videos of the designs I mean videos of people who've made subs using designs from B&C, Beyma etc..and then uploaded videos of them testing their subs out. 
Smile
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 3:17pm
Going for a smaller and triangle port is a compromise on itself. What you get in return is the bracing the port provides, and the easier practical tuning. Same goes for some older B&C S18cn design. Port area is around 122 cm2 and you want something in the sd/2 range. This combined with the triangle layout, you will get bad performance with large signals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel_Gibson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 3:19pm
Would rectangular ports located at the bottom give me better performance? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>