Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

212+2" and PPSL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 212+2" and PPSL
    Posted: 28 December 2012 at 4:12pm
Just another generic 212+2" box with a PPSL sub.

The net box size for the 212 is about 5 cu ft and it's tuned to 50hz. It was designed this way so it could be used in small spaces without having to use the sub. The sides and back are 12mm 9-ply BB, the baffle board, top and bottom are 18mm 13-ply BB.

The drivers are the Eminence Delta Pro 12A, probably the best sounding 12 from Eminence, and reasonably priced too ($89 at this time). The HF is the Zomax 2030, similar to a P-Audio BMD750. A good sounding large-format driver (that were only $200 for the pair, including new diaphragms and the horns).

The sub is my 35hz PPSL, each with dual Eminence Kappa Pro 15LFA-2, a great driver for the price ($98 at this time), the ply is 18mm 13-ply BB.

The cosmetics were chosen by their owner who commented: "These are the best looking and sounding speakers in this part of the country."

djk
rhuet99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhuet99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 4:35pm
Who sells the Zomax comps here in the midwest?  Nice looking boxes.Clap

Sheggy View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 7:44pm
Nice little system I bet. I'd love to hear those bass bins!

Not sure about the carpet though!

S
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2012 at 11:14pm
Looks proper :)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 12:38am
... FUGLY!

...each to their own. im thinking a nice bleached oak staine/look and i'd be proud to have them in my living room

that my friend is a very tidy system. looks well built. one to be proud of
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2012 at 6:39am
"Who sells the Zomax comps here in the midwest? "

These came fro eBay  and are Acoustician brand, I'm not sure if they are still offered new. I bought loads of them new years ago for $85 each from Image Communications, they can be a bit hard to find now.

"Nice little system I bet. I'd love to hear those bass bins! "

You might be able to find someone with OHM PUKK subs over there, they look very similar.

"Not sure about the carpet though!"

I'm not a fan of carpet, and if I had done them in carpet I would have used a darker shade of gray (or even brown) myself. Carpet can get really nasty after a while, although since the ban of smoking in public places it's not so bad from a smell standpoint anymore.

".. FUGLY! ...each to their own."

I'm with you there, although the Expanded metal doesn't look as bad as I thought it would (I suggested hex openings).

" im thinking a nice bleached oak staine/look and i'd be proud to have them in my living room."

He has a 215 three-way in oak in the living room. They are biamped at 800hz with a modified Rane AC22 and use an EV 1823M for the midrange with a properly done passive crossover at 4Khz to a Motorola piezo. I built them quite a while ago, before he moved to Wisconsin (I live in Iowa).

"that my friend is a very tidy system. looks well built. one to be proud of"

Thanks, I'll pass on your remarks to the owner/builder, I just did the design and provided the parts.

A good DIY project like this sure beats the typical JBL JRX system that is common round these parts, or the Peavey and Behringer stuff.

"i'd be proud to have them in my living room"

Years ago I did a double 15 PPSL biamped at 200hz to a single 12 with a passive crossover at 1.2Khz to an 1" Altec MR931 MantaRay horn, they came out very nice. These were a one-box system in 3/4" 9-ply oak, wish I had pictures of all my older projects.

Edited by _djk_ - 29 December 2012 at 6:47am
djk
 Post Reply Post Reply