Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24v Solar Powered mobile rig and DJ booth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 7:27am
Thats soo good i love it man! 😀👍🏼
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 11:54am
Nice build !You've put some thought into it all...top respect fella.

Couple of questions....are you running 2 x MPPT charge controllers on the same batt bank? I steer away from that as they are both " looking" at the same voltage etc but applying the MPPT to " their" panels.
We splashed out on a Midnite Classic Solar Controller to handle a higher panel voltage ( up to 120v DC) and also like yours it has a remote app so you can monitor in/outs. Higher panel voltages mean thinner cables all round, we run strings of 3 panels with VOC around 99v dc.
Do you have any RCD protection on your 240v side of your inverter ?? If not get some in-line 30ma ones !!
How do you transport the ground array of panels, we have extra panels for our system but I've never been keen on them being stacked in the trailer.

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 12:14pm
Thank you Phil, your own system was a source of ideas and inspiration so respect to yourselves. 
Yes we are currently running 2x mppt charge controllers to one battery bank although this is about to change. I was advised this was ok with two controllers. Yes we have rcd protection on the distro board. Our solar charge controllers can handle higher panel voltages no problem. I was under the impression that the larger the voltage difference between panels and battery bank then the lower the conversion efficiency to 24v? Yes we transport the ground stack array. The frames are fabricated from 25mm angle and can be unbolted and flat packed together with the panels. We stack them vertically on one side of the bus with packing between the panels. The ideal solution would be the new flexible monocrystaline panels - they weigh next to nothing and are much harder to break. Unfortunately they are also more expensive for less output with the larger ones being between 100 and 200w. 

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions Thumbs Up

Nath
Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 12:20pm
Sorry Cravings, overlooked your comment. Yes we have had quite a few artists playing vinyl and no complaints. We jack the truck up on wooden platforms on site in addition to the legs. Otherwise the truck starts bouncing quite violently when people in the truck/dj are dancing about LOL its surprising the energy when 10 people all begin to bounce in sync! Seems to hit the fundamental frequency of our suspension LOL

Edited by Natedub - 11 April 2020 at 12:22pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Natedub Natedub wrote:

Our solar charge controllers can handle higher panel voltages no problem. I was under the impression that the larger the voltage difference between panels and battery bank then the lower the conversion efficiency to 24v?

The efficiency is down to how good your MPPT controller is? When you are pulling 40 - 60 amps off the panels at 24v dc you need decent cabling and going up in voltage means you can use thinner ( cheaper) stuff.
Just for shits and giggles because I'm at home all day and the kids have their " devices" on constantly I added another 6 panels to our " spare " trailer. This now has 12 x 250 watt panels running in strings of 3 to the midnite controller. Managed a peak of 70 amps and 2kw this arvo. One string of 3 is on proper 50amp cabling and the other on a fudged 4 x 2.5m speaker cable till I get some more proper stuff. No difference in voltage or ampage under load between the 2 strings but probably some heat loss somewhere !

.p.

Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:04pm
Ok just checked and our mppt charge controllers will do upto 138v dc on the solar input so that is an option. Our solar cable is massively overkill tbf LOL There are conversion curves in the literature with the controllers and it clearly shows best efficiency when solar voltage is closer to battery voltage with efficiency dropping at greater voltage differences. This is inline with my experiments with DC-DC boost converters which I guess must be employed in the charge controllers too. They claim upto 93% conversion efficiency which is achievable converting 24v dc to 36v but the efficiency was much lower converting from 24vdc to the 96vdc needed for the amp modules we used. Wow 70a is some serious juice! I think max we pulled so.far in the UK is between 40 and 50 amps. You have an unfair advantage of having much more sunshine LOL
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:23pm
Well today was our first day of " winter" ! Was 15 degrees ...blowy as f**k and sun inbetween the clouds. BUT that is when the panels make their best power ...cold panels and full sunshine is when I see the biggest peaks. All the solar installs in colder countries have to take that into account. On our HOT days I reckon I'm 15-20% down on a cold day by rough KWH over daytime.

Natedub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:33pm
That is very true but hadn't considered it. Another plus for ground stack solar over roof mounted then. The groundstack always has cool airflow over the back of the panels. We are currently blessed with blazing sun in the beginning of spring but country in lockdown so taking very little advantage of it!
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Natedub Natedub wrote:

That is very true but hadn't considered it. Another plus for ground stack solar over roof mounted then. The groundstack always has cool airflow over the back of the panels. We are currently blessed with blazing sun in the beginning of spring but country in lockdown so taking very little advantage of it!

Yep... panels on a hot tin roof is not a good thing !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12