Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > X10, X12, X15 and XM15
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2-way or 3-way?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2-way or 3-way?
    Posted: 29 October 2009 at 7:45am
I plan to make a pair of x12's, but with only one 12 in each.  I was originally just gonna put a passive 2way xo high pass in each for the horn drivers, but i have been doing some more research, will i need a passive 3 way xo instead of the 2way?  If so, what kind of low pass and high pass frequencies would be suitable for a 12" driver and 1" exit driver with horn?
topdiggy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topdiggy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 3:10am
You wont need a 3 way XO if you are only runing 2 drivers in the cab itself. Tecnically speaking if you have a full range signal coming in, you only want the XO in between the line in jack and the speakers.  The XO will direct the "frequency traffic" to which ever driver you want.  And it will direct as much traffic as you want!

So you can set the cut off for the 12" driver(s) at say 120hz-1.2kz [1 way], and then set the high pass to 1.2khz-20khz [2 way]...thus 2 way XO.  A 3 way passive would be if you have say a third driver in that same cabinet that you wanted to maybe have 3 highways of traffic open.

Follow me?

Now, here is where you are limiting yourself with the passive crossovers: Once you configure those settings inside that cabinet, you will have to open up those cabs and tweek that xo again. And depending on what cabs you have or dont have at a gig, you may not always want the same "traffic" controls in place.

With a external XO, you can change the settings on the fly and swap around cabs for different functions. Maybe at some gigs where you have better subs, you may want your 12"'s not to work as hard and restrict them to do more of the hi work. Or maybe you didnt bring the subs, and today you want those 12" to drop a little lower down to 50-60hz range and to do more low end work.

Again, the point is if you are only talking 1-3 cabs, then really you wont see a difference, however, if you got a 10+ cab system, to try and buy xo's for all of them is just insane, when you can get a cheap external and have more control over your tweaking.

Flexibility is the key term Barry....hope this helps

PS - im going to have to get with someone else on the ohn wiring question you had in the other thread....im not too sure if there will be a load reduction either way....there should be in parallel, but, not in series.
topdiggy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topdiggy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2009 at 3:14am
Oh, yeah now i remember what my reservations was about your other question.....

Im not sure that you will get the load reduction because the resistance at any given time will be different because each driver isnt recieving the same signal, thus having different power requirements instantaneously.  

regardless of them being the same power rating and same Ohm rating, the mere fact that you got then working on two different task will seperate.

I think! ;)

Post Reply Post Reply