Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x10" vented horn idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 3:23pm
Nice Chris! 

Till how big of a venue do you use them?

Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 12:17am
great! the horns are the same dims anyway so it makes no difference to the box layout. my quick google obviously ended up at the 2 inch version, sorry for the confusion
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:32am
Noud, also noticed you’re actually going to use the cab on its side! In this case it’s very very important the mid drive units radiate inside one wavelength up to an octave past crossover freq. Otherwise you’re going to be giving 90% of the dfloor nothing below 1khz. 
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Noud Noud wrote:

Nice Chris! 

Till how big of a venue do you use them?

Depends on how loud the customer wants it.

There was an event on at the stadium that was in the video. Mostly spoken word, some music. Something like 800 school kids (plus teachers) in attendance, so it didn't need to be particularly loud.
The system was putting out 123dBC-slow at 1m. The peaks are 18dB up on that track, so it's 141dB peaks.

A couple of years back it was used as the main PA for a family festival. Sound was clear and reasonably loud (you could hear the music over people talking) at 100m back, with a couple of thousand people in attendance. However, it wasn't anywhere close to concert/rave levels at the back, or even in the middle of the audience. The organisers were happy, though - everyone knew music was happening, and which way to go if they wanted to listen to it louder.

So there isn't really a simple number I can put to this system. For a rave, a few hundred people is usually just fine. I've got 8x Faital Pro 15HP1060 in ported boxes and the subs usually hit the limiters first. People love bass...

Chris

Edited by Chris Grimshaw - 22 May 2019 at 9:07am
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 6:32am
How are the 15HP1060 Chris? They’re one of the only decent drivers for sale (off the shelf) here in Aus? Are they quite solid for what they are? 
Cheers
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 9:55pm
The Faitail HP series are excellent drivers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 12:53pm
Yep, the 15HP1060 drivers are really good.

I've had a Crown MA12000i running all the way up to clipping driving a couple. Impressive output from some fairly small boxes, and they took the ~2200w power levels just fine. I feel like I could've pushed them further, but then I'd need an even bigger amplifier.

These days, I use a Powersoft T602, and last weekend had the amp bridged into a pair of the 15"s. The venue (barn with farm house nearby) told me I could go as loud as I wanted, as they've never had any problems before. 10 minutes later, they came and asked me to turn it down because the farm house windows were all rattling.

Good fun.

Since the T602 is a little under-powered for running eight of these drivers, I'm thinking about dropping the tuning lower so the drivers still use all of their mechanical potential. A compact 30Hz box of some kind would be a lot of fun.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 1:17pm
I will keep saying this until I’m blue in the face but there is zero chance you were giving them 2200 watts for any length of time if they still work. A larger amp would get you a totally negligible increase in output long term, but would give you the chance of melting the coils much more easily.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I will keep saying this until I’m blue in the face...

I reckon that makes you Papa Smurf?

Although that looks a bit more Tony A.S.S., any relation?

I'll get my coat - Azrael, we're off.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
Father-Francis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Father-Francis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

I will keep saying this until I’m blue in the face...

I reckon that makes you Papa Smurf?

Although that looks a bit more Tony A.S.S., any relation?

I'll get my coat - Azrael, we're off.
😂😂😎nailed it .
Music is the strongest form of magic.(+45 31879997)blakmanpro@gmail.com, foa@sweetboxaudio.dk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 10:06am

I will keep saying this until I’m blue in the face but there is zero chance you were giving them 2200 watts for any length of time if they still work. A larger amp would get you a totally negligible increase in output long term, but would give you the chance of melting the coils much more easily.

First, define "long term output". If you're talking about playing continuous sine waves, then yes, I agree with you.
Power compression would eat that extra 3dB (over the 1KW long-term rating) quite quickly.

However, almost all of the program material I play does NOT contain continuous low-frequency sine waves. If DJs are playing, it's usually for weddings, so it'll be mostly chart or cheese, where the bass has transients. The system also gets used for a lot of live music, where there's even greater dynamic range.

I have had that Crown amp up to clipping with a couple of drivers per side, and when the clip light is on (ie, kick drum hits), the drivers are receiving full power.

For the same amount of cone area and cabinets, the bigger amplifiers give me 3dB more "feel" to the kick drum, and haven't had any thermal issues, because of the program material that these cabinets get used for.

Chris

Edited by Chris Grimshaw - 26 May 2019 at 10:09am
www.grimshawaudio.com
Noud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2019 at 1:21pm
It's been a while but i start building 4  K20 cabinets. After testing with a simple test cabinet i'm really happy with the sound quality and pressure! Sooo...

Today i'm going to pick up that last piece of wood.  (build pics asap)
Ordered all the drivers and horns.

so totally it will be:
4x XR1464c
4x ND950 1.4  8ohm
8x 10fh520    16ohm

The next thing on the list will be look for a good second hand amp powering the 4 k20's
I looked at a crown I-tech 6000 (read good en bad thing about reliably)???
or a Lab gruppen FQ6400  but it has slightly les power.
Price max €1500 incl. tax

Amps today:
1x powersoft d1604
1x zeck pt7  (I would like to replace it with the crown or lab gruppen or....)
1x Labgruppen Lab 4000

Also i was told it wise to protect de hf driver with a capacitor ? cut off about 650hz

Edited by Noud - 21 August 2019 at 1:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>