Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2x12" angled mid - drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x12" angled mid - drivers
    Posted: 18 June 2019 at 10:18pm
Hello everyone ! I am about to start build the following mid speaker from Fane,

https://s345.photobucket.com/user/thanosvas/media/1_zps79g5ursn.png. -

http://s345.photobucket.com/user/thanosvas/media/2_zpssxyktvaa.png. -

which I want to x-over it at 180-200 Hz. So I would like to know if the choice of using
Fane Sovereign 12-300 drivers would work well. This is cabinet's supposed to be short throw
so I am not sure if I have to use drivers suitable for horn applications. Do you have any other suggestion ?
Thank you in advance !

P.S.1 I also keep in mind that I maybe customizing it to a vented enclosure by opening 2 or 4 small holes.
P.S.2 Sorry if this is already being answered somewhere else, I am new here and I couldn't find any similar posts
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 7:44am
if you port it will probably want a little more volume. Suggest you sim it in winisd or similar to work out the volume and port sizes and adjust the plan accordingly. 

Edited by JonB67 - 19 June 2019 at 7:45am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 9:15am
No point porting if you are going to xover that high.

I had a couple of those years ago - loaded with some Celestion, but can´t remember the model. Just try find something with a good midrange response & decent sensitivity. The Sovereign 12-300 should be fine.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
thanosvas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 9:44am
Thanks for the answer mate! Actually I have simulated the sovereign 12-300 and it seems I get the exact results I want. However, my only concern is the sound dispersion. Should I get a driver with more EBP ? Because this enclosure's supposed to be a short throw
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by thanosvas thanosvas wrote:

However, my only concern is the sound dispersion.
What are your concerns there? This cab is designed to widen the coverage some from a standard flat baffle design, that it will do but only over a relatively narrow bandwidth.. from about 1khz up all output from a 12" driver is essentially a beam straight in front of it.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 9:19am
Yes - I wouldn´t overthink this. The cab is designed to do a specific job. If the Sovereign sims are good, just go with that!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:28pm
‘Short throw’ just means ‘no pattern control’ and ‘not that loud’
thanosvas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanosvas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

‘Short throw’ just means ‘no pattern control’ and ‘not that loud’

Oh, I didnt know that. That's a useful info. So I guess I will stick with Sovereign 12-300 or with drivers with even better sensitivity and mid response.

Thank you all for the help guys. I really appreciate it :)
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:56pm
All your  'basic' front-loaded cabs suffer from that (bad pattern control) - but don´t have to be 'not that loud'. You can get a decent dB level as long as you go for drivers with good SPL at their designated frequency range.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply