Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 Phase Distro Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Phase Distro Build
    Posted: 06 May 2021 at 4:54am
Most of the gigs we are doing these days come with 32a 3 phase (5 pin) so we are looking at getting a custom distro built (also open to pre-built recommendations too) so we don't have to cop the hire fees every time.

Currently looking at getting it build by a qualified electrician friend, or possible another mate who is studying electrical engineering.

Requirements I've handed over are:

2 x 20amp PowerCon outlet per phase
2 x 10amp Australia socket outlet per phase (can settle for one tho)
20 amp breakers on all phases (MCDs and RCDs - D-Type curve)
5 pin 32 amp 3phase tail of 2m out of distro
Digital display for metering current, voltage, frequency, and fault lights to indicate any issues.

Have I missed anything you would expect to have in a fully featured PA 3 phase distro?

Does anyone have any recommendations on digital meters to use?

Would it be feasible to fit this in a 3RU chassis, or will it need 4RU?

I'm assuming we will have to buy a pre-made chassis from somewhere like Penn Elcom or RS Online and punch/cut connector and metering holes from the chassis - are there any regulations around type of chassis that can be used?

Thanks all  Thumbs Up 

Edited by vertx - 06 May 2021 at 4:59am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:04am
Unqualified advice, I know nothing of Australian regs, but from a partialy informed UK user point of veiw;

You will need 10A breakers for your 10A sockets.

You probably want a 20A breaker per powercon socket rather than per phase, or you are limiting the pair to 20A total, rather than 32A between them.

An overall 32A 3 way MCB  on the input would make sense, acts as an isolator (which may be required)

putting RCDs (or RCBOs) on outputs rather than over the whole phase is a good idea

You will probably want a chassis mount fuse for the meter.

Sounds like a lot to squeeze into 3U chassis (12 outlets and 1x3way MCB, 12xRCBOs, indicator neons, plus meter, plus input gland) maybe doable if you are using front and back but you dont want outlets too close together or pluging / unplugging becomes a pain.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:34am
Any Electrician will be able to build everything you need. You do not need to worry about the small details. Just give the Electrician the Name and Model numbers of the items being used (Offering websites of the Manufacture on the actual products would be best). If you want metering for a specific job, just let the Electrician know you want the metering to monitor _ _ _ and, it will be implemented in the system.

How much you are willing to spend will determine what you will get in return in terms of performance.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 07 May 2021 at 1:37am
Elliot Thompson
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:35am
We looked into building one and by the time you get all the parts it gets pretty expensive fast. Also most venues we go into don't like anything that looks even remotely DIY. We have a DIY distro that is fully legal but I've had venues say no to it even with a relevant PAT test so my advice would be to get one of the standard rack mount units.

The Powerwise units have a good reputation, I would get one with 20amp breakers on it and make up 20amp Aus plug to Powercon cables for those things that require them.

http://www.powerwise.com.au/products.php

Also well worth hitting up a local hire company to get a mates rate on one if you can as they sell for about 30% less than RRP to people in the industry.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:09am
Our best venues up here in Sydney are all private warehouses - some of the few places you can have a big system running on 3phase without catching heat from police, neighbours, or bar managers - they are not all that concerned with custom distros which is good news for us.

We've been hiring the PowerWise 620m-3RC - I really like the unit, but ideally want something with PowerCon outlets.

www.instagram.com/translate.sound
 Post Reply Post Reply