Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3 way tops (100hz and up)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 3:05pm
that was "discosucks" whos system was fire damaged.
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by DMorison DMorison wrote:

If you haven't already, it might be worth a look at Peter Morris's https://soundforums.net/community/threads/new-diy-mid-high-90deg-aka-pm90.11601/ PM90 (& PM 60 on the same site). He too was looking for an efficient low mid horn and came up with something that has certain similarities to your proposed folding, just in a dual 12 version. He certainly uses the single fold and narrow cross section characteristics that you've already identified as useful in getting better HF extension than a typical kick bin/BPH style layout.

Re the H3, I think the XO was 280 so you're about right with your recollection.
These are not my images but from a forum member who had theirs fire damaged a while ago - I can't find the original post but had saved the image out of curiosity.
Looks like the 15 is mounted almost horizontally.

Hey.

Yea ive seen that. If the prototye with the singe works out ill be doing a 2 x 12 one as well. We do seem to be thinking in the same direction, and from what i read the other day, this folding scheme and set of principles does seem to work well for the lower mid range.

Thanks for the pics of the H3. I cant quite make it out in the pic, but does that slot throaght go straight into the first section of the horn in a FLH layout, or does it go into a chamber BPH style?

Cheers.
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 7:36pm
Too bad about the fire BTW. Sorry to hear it; too nicer boxes to go out like that.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 8:39pm
Something that has been bugging me.

From what ive seen from designs of this type which play high and others that dont, there seems to be some kind of relationship between the distance of the fold from the cone of the driver and the wavelength of the highest frequency which it can play well. 

My technical background is lacking to even be able to begin to calculate or simulate this, but there seems to be something there. It might be possible that if this first section of the horn (before the bend) exceeds a particular fraction of the shortest required wavelength it causes problems????

Anyone have any ideas on this point?
singingfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote singingfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by thepersonunknown thepersonunknown wrote:

Something that has been bugging me.

From what ive seen from designs of this type which play high and others that dont, there seems to be some kind of relationship between the distance of the fold from the cone of the driver and the wavelength of the highest frequency which it can play well. 

My technical background is lacking to even be able to begin to calculate or simulate this, but there seems to be something there. It might be possible that if this first section of the horn (before the bend) exceeds a particular fraction of the shortest required wavelength it causes problems????

Anyone have any ideas on this point?

reading this with interest.
I reckon my builds used the same design brief.
I ripped what I could from Funktion1 res cabs while using drivers and waveguides from EV and a model shop.

might interest you:
https://forum.speakerplans.com/my-new-tops_topic103657_page1.html?KW=my

I toyed with double mouthed ideas but couldn't see any advantage really.
I wanted the cabs to sound neutral and have plenty of impact with tight timing and slam, which they have in abundance down to about 120Hz. Not much use without subs though.

gomxz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gomxz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2021 at 4:35pm
Hey man it looks dope. Btw, Im from Madrid too, have just built a pair of 186HD with 18sound 18lw1400 drivers, I´m looking for people to make a huge wall of sound, are you done ? Lemme know. Saludos

Edited by gomxz - 14 November 2021 at 4:38pm
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2021 at 11:08am
If your not set on the design you stated, you could have a look at the LF section on the CSG tops that Chris CSG built on here a good while back (I have 6 of the 10? he built) and take a little inspiration from that, your Mid and HF sections are very similar , is there any way your mid can drop to around 220hz? I beleive with the phase plugged XT8 horn from mykey they can drop to that level, but then that might involve redesigning your whole cab, and his LF runs from 80hz to 220hz and is a simple 15" folded horn based on an old turbosound design I beleive, I may be slightly wrong on some of this as its from memory but pretty sure im right, the thread is called 'Things to do on a sunday' and its in the Xtro section on here somewhere...

Ofc im not saying copy his design, far from it, but from what I skim read on your idea he seems to have covered what you are looking for, although you would need to switch up your driver selection. Maybe drop him a message on here he is very helpful
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12