Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

32 X 4inch 2way Coaxial Car Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tune In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 32 X 4inch 2way Coaxial Car Speakers
    Posted: 23 October 2020 at 2:40am
Greetings 
I have acquired 32 X 4inch 2way coaxial 
car speakers, i am looking for and am open to 
any suggestions too what I can do with them
I was contemplating/thinking/toying with the idea of a soundbar/column cabinet with 8 speakers per box, 
what are your thoughts/ideas as said I am open to 
any suggestions
On the packaging it reads the following: 
"4-Inch Car Speakers Max 80W power, 4 ohm impedance
2-way coaxial driver
Hot press PP cone with urethane surround Strontium magnet Large size conex semper High power
Strontium magnet Compact mesh grill design Large size conex semper
they look very similar to these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141978411616
Giving Thanks In Advance 

Edited by Tune In - 23 October 2020 at 12:20pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 3:43am
There are no commercial column/array speaker systems built with that style of coaxial speaker. The reason for that is simple.. the high frequency elements are too far away from one another which makes the already inherent comb filtering that occurs with this type of speaker system that much worse.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 8:58am
you could try a curved CBT array. But I agree 4" is pushing the limits of close spacing for full range drivers. commercially available CBTs seem to use 2.5" drivers. You might just get away with it, or think the compromise on HF response is worth the extra bass extension from a 4" driver.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 4:26pm
Just copy a Bose 802. Wont sound very good,and certainly won't be hifi, nor very loud, but for background music in a pub/restaurant it might suffice.
Be seeing you.
Tune In View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tune In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 5:51pm
If I go the 8 in a cab route, what should be the wiring configuration
Series or parallel, also what would be the ohms and what wattage amp would suffice? Thanks
(Maybe I should transfer this to the Newbie Discussion)
EmbarrassedLOL
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 7:18pm
Wire them series parallel and they will be 4ohm, 8 in a box with a curved baffle or a column with the drivers staggered at say 5 degrees left and right and you will be ok ish, chuck some eq at it and you might be surprised, good luck bud and let us know how you get on Smile 

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 10:37pm
 4x 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel will come down to 1 ohm. Adding a similar line in series to the first will give 2 ohms.

Alternatively wiring similar lines of 4 in series will be 16 ohms. Then add a similar line in parallel  to the first......overall impedence for 8 speakers is 8 ohms.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2020 at 10:52pm
there are loads of ways to wire speakers in an array. start reading about bessel arrays, constant beamwidth transducers etc
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 11:33am
4" driver is the same size as used in a jbl control 1.

Why not try finding a pair of blown control 1's, and put a pair of your coaxial car speakers into them?

Being coaxial (ie. point source) I think they would sound good close-up as computer monitors etc.

Would give an idea as to how a single driver performs in a small ported box, which may lead to some arraying ideas.

JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 6:54pm
Any merit in snipping the hf tweeter cables and just arraying the 4" drivers? Maybe leave one or two just to keep some hf content there?

Ive literally no idea,  but seems logical if the hf will be a mess and the 4" will probably go pretty high on their own.

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

Wire them series parallel and they will be 4ohm, 8 in a box with a curved baffle or a column with the drivers staggered at say 5 degrees left and right and you will be ok ish, chuck some eq at it and you might be surprised, good luck bud and let us know how you get on Smile 

That is a good suggestion. You could also configure 8 of them as a "barber pole" or spiral column with each driver offset by 5 to 10 degrees relative to the one below / above. If you get the offset angle right it should give a reasonable match between the HF and mid / low coverage - which will be quite wide, assuming a narrow column.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 2:46pm
I'm confused. How is it possible to wire 8 x 4 ohm speakers in series/parallel to get an overall 4 ohm impedence????
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>