Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

32a distro build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by ermita ermita wrote:

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Nice job but why 4 inputs?

Not sure i would pass this on a PAT either due to the common neutral rail....

Smile

what would be the ideal Neutral wiringEmbarrassed.

The neutral wiring is correct for outputs, you shouldn't have a common neutral like that if they were power in.
100% Earth Moving Bass
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 10:39pm
I think he confused the blue and white powerConOuch.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 10:42pm
I think so too. wouldn't be the first time i've seen that!
100% Earth Moving Bass
ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

I think so too. wouldn't be the first time i've seen that!

looks like he powered the rackShocked Shocked

Is that safe then considering the wiring.
adyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:27pm

Smile
what do you mean 4 inputs?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:27pm
It is "safe" as is but if you take the unit from the rack it is a total death trap.

Really nice job, well thought out (I assume he has some 6A breaker for the IECS and then bigger ones for the powercons) but you just can't free form with mains connectors, as this stands you could power it from the 32A and plug 3 x 13A plug to Powercon in and end up with 3 sets of live pins waving about in free air.

20A Powercon MUST run grey (source) to blue (drain) no ifs not buts.

32A has no source configuration and can run drain only.

Any arguement about "but it's only me that uses the gear" is fine but in th real world any venue tech seeing kit like that would be forced to isolate your supply and ask for it to be reomved from the venue...

As you asked about neutral topology, as Gaz says, fine for output, but if the device was a safe multi input distro then each neutral would have to be seperate from the others so if you plugged in 3 13A plugs you couldn't contact neutral.
Basically in electrical design neutral should be considered as insulated to the same standards as live (various faults could put 240V on the neutral)

Above said, nice job, and as another hint I would add some earth bonding to the panels...

Smile
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by adyk adyk wrote:

Smile
what do you mean 4 inputs?
It's kinda covered now but 32A single phase and 3 x 20A blue powercons....

I am assuming you made a small school boy error in design, please correct!!!

Smile

S
adyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:31pm
there are all out puts
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:33pm
Its not good really as mains could be connected via the blue powercons which would give live pins on the end of the ceeform.
Its more the fact that it could be used incorrectly that makes it dangerous rather than it being immediatly dangerous if that makes sense?
100% Earth Moving Bass
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:33pm

there are all out puts
point is they are not, the blue ones are inputs, you have used the wrong powercons, you can't use a blue as an output, it is a drain connector not a source connector....

Sorry, you have made a mistake...

Smile

S
adyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:34pm
didnt have grey so i used blue at the time but easily changed, not sure how it make it a death trap?

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 11:37pm

didnt have grey so i used blue at the time but easily changed, not sure how it make it a death trap?

As gaz says, a 13A PLUG to blue is the common (and correct) config, so using your distro anyone could plug a 13A . Blue in and get live pins, or worst, plug a 13A to blues in on diffeerent phases and possibly take out the service fuses...

It's just not the way it is done, standards are there to keep everyone safe...

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>