Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4 1000w subs on a thomann proline- is this safe?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4 1000w subs on a thomann proline- is this safe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobylee4242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 1000w subs on a thomann proline- is this safe?
    Posted: 16 December 2016 at 3:13pm
Hi,
I've been using two 18" 1000w subs on a proline 3000 which puts out 1100w 8 ohms RMS. If I were to daisy chain 2 1000w subs on each side would this be enough power or would it be better to get another amp to do 2 additional speakers?
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 3:41pm
I power two V18-1000s off my Proline 3000...I haven't yet tried four but I've spoken to a few 3000 owners who comfortably run four V18s off it on 4ohm! Should be fine
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 3:44pm
Get another Proline 3000, they are cheap enough.

Don't understand people, who buy 1000W drivers, and power them with 750w each, on edge of amp clipping.

<facepalm>
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
KingGwarn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingGwarn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Don't understand people, who buy 1000W drivers, and power them with 750w each, on edge of amp clipping.

<facepalm>

Yeah the 3000s are cheap enough to just get a second one, but I run my sound on my own and I can't justify carrying an extra 37kg lump for that extra bit of juice!
Soundman inna Brighton town
King Gwarn Sound System
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:01pm

Reliability. With appropriate processing set there is virtually no way a person could harm those drivers with that amp.  And it will get 98% of the available performance from the drivers.. another 3dB of power won't produce another 3dB of sound... some or most of that will go into coil heating.
empiresoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote empiresoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:18pm
Time and time and time again this comes up. 

YES you can power 4x 1000w drivers on a proline 3000. 
I've done it myself many times and have seen it done many times. 
Failed DJ and fumbling through the world of pro audio. Give me a thumb and make me feel better:
www.facebook.com/empireAVWorks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Reliability. With appropriate processing set there is virtually no way a person could harm those drivers with that amp.

So, so wrong.. Pays to know about a product, before making sweeping and technically incorrect statements.

Any PA dude who knows his salt, will tell you, safer to have larger amp with plenty of headroom, than amp too small for purpose, which will clip and square wave coils.

Especially in the case of Prolines, which even though they have great sound, clip limiting is one of the worse seen on any amp.

Some of us had Prolines from 9x years ago, have obtained the circuit schematics from Deton, & passed them onto Electronic engineers/Amp repairers, in attemp to sort this weak point out.

Search back in Amp forum history, to see some of the in depth discussions about Prolines/Deton Aone series

EDIT:Headroom sounds better than limiting.

Edited by levyte357- - 16 December 2016 at 5:05pm
empiresoundsystem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote empiresoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 4:58pm

Reliability. With appropriate processing set there is virtually no way a person could harm those drivers with that amp.

So, so wrong.. Pays to know about a product, before making sweeping and technically incorrect statements.

Any PA dude who knows his salt, will tell you, safer to have larger amp with plenty of headroom, than amp too small for purpose, which will clip and square wave coils.

Especially in the case of Prolines, which even though they have great sound, clip limiting is one of the worse seen on any amp.

Some of us had Prolines from 9x years ago, have obtained the circuit schematics from Deton, & passed them onto Electronic engineers/Amp repairers, in attemp to sort this weak point out.

Search back in Amp forum history, to see some of the in depth discussions about Prolines/Deton Aone series.

Will give you that Lev, woe betide anyone who clips this amplifier. 
Failed DJ and fumbling through the world of pro audio. Give me a thumb and make me feel better:
www.facebook.com/empireAVWorks
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by KingGwarn KingGwarn wrote:

<facepalm>

Yeah the 3000s are cheap enough to just get a second one, but I run my sound on my own and I can't justify carrying an extra 37kg lump for that extra bit of juice!

Hear that..

I almost passed out, after I bought my first Proline 2700 in 2007, and realised, I just bought 5.5 stone amp, to drive 2x boxes!!

Edited by levyte357- - 16 December 2016 at 5:20pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 5:30pm

Search back in Amp forum history, to see some of the in depth discussions about Prolines/Deton Aone series

He said "With appropriate processing" - IE set a limiter on the processor so the amp dosent clip... it will be perfectly safe,  running lower powered amps is safe as houses as long as you dont clip them / set a limiter properly.  
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2016 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

He said "With appropriate processing" - IE set a limiter on the processor so the amp dosent clip... it will be perfectly safe,  running lower powered amps is safe as houses as long as you dont clip them / set a limiter properly.  

Yep, I fed a bunch of 800w drivers 600w each for many years, never had a single issue, on a few occasions I tried feeding the drivers a bit more power and got very little, if any, gain.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2016 at 12:53am
Again: A proline 3000 puts out 2x 2kW @4Ohm sine wave 60Hz. The thomann specs are false!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>