Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400Hz-20KHz horn for BMS 4595

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400Hz-20KHz horn for BMS 4595
    Posted: 26 April 2013 at 7:10pm
Ive had the intention of building a 60x30 horn for my BMS coax drivers for a while and got round to doing some calculations and drawing today, i intend to build it from 22 layers of MDF machined by CNC, then lots of sanding and painting.

Its looking like it will be a little less than 60x30 degrees as i dont have quite enough space to fit them in the cases, more like 55x25 now, not the end of the world but i dont really want them any narrower.  I went for a linear expansion with 1KHz 1/4 wave mouth termination as i am limited by what i can fit.  Path length is 215Hz and im aiming to run them from about 400Hz ish.  

James
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2013 at 10:05pm
Mdf... Try fiberglass on plaster model, its very simple.
400Hz isn't too low?
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2013 at 11:47pm
Im not a big fan of working with fibreglass, MDF horns tend to be dead and very non resonant, and even if i did make them from fibreglass i would have to make the 1st mold from MDF.  400Hz is fine for the BMS.
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

Im not a big fan of working with fibreglass, MDF horns tend to be dead and very non resonant, and even if i did make them from fibreglass i would have to make the 1st mold from MDF.  400Hz is fine for the BMS.
at HiFi levels yes sure.... but for PA it rips your head off Dead
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:21am
Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

Originally posted by Timebomb Timebomb wrote:

at HiFi levels yes sure.... but for PA it rips your head off Dead

Making a box with 400Hz cut off wont be very pleasant to listen to at near and loud, but it will be very very good at a distance. So it all depends on what he wants to use it for.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 12:20pm
Just to clarify things:

Hz is a unit of 1/time, it is not a length. I assume that a path length of 215Hz means that the length of the horn corresponds to ¼ wavelength at 215Hz, which would be 40cm. This would agree with the 22 layers of what I presume will be 18mm mdf, which is 39.6cm.

A 60 degree angle results in a plan view of an equilateral triangle so the mouth width will be the same as the wall length, so about 46cm. The 1KHz ¼ wavelength termination refers then to the round-over which will be about 8cm radius. For PA work, I would just curve the flare into the front baffle rather than continue the curve so it folds back on itself. Basically it is more practical, and it is similar to the tractrix profile which is deemed OK.

One thing that you need to be aware of is that when the width of the mouth is approximately equal to the wavelength of the sound being produced, the dispersion pattern will narrow. For your horn this will be around the 750Hz region. The diagram below shows what happens. It is for a curved mouth horn (it was the only pic I had readily available) but expect similar with a flat fronted horn.

This narrowing might not be a problem for you, but leads to the question why do you need to crossover at 400Hz? What are you using in the next frequency band down? Before you commit to the design I would look at your system as a whole. Your horn (apart from the curved mouth) looks to have almost flat sides. Even if you finally intend to go with the layered construction do a few mock-ups with sheet sides first and take some measurements. You can use polystyrene bocks to experiment with the curved mouth termination.

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:34pm
Cheers guys, Ive made some basic 60x40 horns with the same depth and ran them with 400Hz high pass and they sound very clean to me, distortion increases with power but the integrity of the dynamics holds together very well, better than anything else ive heard i think.  They can be a bit aggressive but thats mainly the really fast dynamics, your getting more information than with other systems.  Ive taken them as loud as i could stand but i haven't given them full power yet, i haven't needed too.  I think there may be excursion issues with a 400Hz highpass and full power so i may have to limit them but i doubt this will be an issue there plenty loud enough. 

Thanks Steve, Yep 22 sheets of 18mm, though when i glue them together it will probably end up slightly deeper, yeah i meant the axial path length is equivalent to 215Hz.  The round over terminates to a flat baffle, It dos not fold back on it self it just looks a bit like it does on that picture, its going into a box anyway so much more practical to end on a flat baffle, and i haven't got the space for a full roundover.

Where the flare intersects with the round over i made it correct for the horizontal axis, so its not quite smooth in the vertical axis, i couldn't think of a better way to do it, its not miles off i may just sand it smooth, any ideas?

Yeah i new a wide mouth woul cause lobeing, its a problem with wide bandwidth horns, it dos not seem too bad with the horns ive done, i might do some off axis measurements later on, as its a nice day outside, the round over version should help a bit with this i think.

Below these i am running a 2x12" horn , currently lowpass at 370Hz and high pass at 400Hz to the BMS, its sounds very good, nice and clear, it can seem a little thin but i think that because im used to cone drivers in the mids.  370Hz lowpass is about the limit of the 2x12" horns, above this i get a resonance creeping in.   Cheers for the tip Steve i didnt think about using polystyrene to make a quick round over, ive done the twisted towel thing and it made a difference, not as much as when i tried it on a small conical 2KHz horn though.

I know Tannoy use these BMS drivers with a 450Hz high pass, and i think one of there horns says 400Hz on it, im quite happy running them down this low.

Cheers for the input guys.

James

Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 1:51pm

Current 60x40 horn and low mid RB212 cab,  the mid high horns fits inside the low mid horn for storage and transportation.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:06pm

The above horn, blue is unprocessed, green is with EQ.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:17pm
That is a huge horn. How come it does not go lower?

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 4:39pm
Not too sure, i was expecting it to go a bit lower, i cant remember where i set the highpass when i took those measurements but i assume it was well below the cutoff, its quite a fast expansion being 60x40 so that could explain some of it.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

That is a huge horn. How come it does not go lower?

I thought that you designed loudspeakers professionally? Surely you know a little acoustic theory. The response characteristics of a horn are not simply a function of its size.

If I remember correctly, the acoustic impedance of a conical horn is as shown below in the sketch.

It has two components resistive and reactive. Unlike exponential and hyperbolic horns there is no distinct cutoff. The resistance rises slowly until it reaches an asymptotic value, indicated by the arrow in the image. The frequency of this point depends on the solid angle that the horn makes. To lower the frequency the angle needs to be smaller. As the angle is usually set by coverage pattern required the lower roll off frequency is set and making the horn larger won’t improve the response.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>