Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400Hz-20KHz horn for BMS 4595

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 7:21pm
I am more of a practical person, not theoretical. :-)

Edited by MarjanM - 27 April 2013 at 7:22pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 8:46pm
You can’t get away from theory. If you don’t use some form of theory you are essentially guessing. There is nothing wrong with theories based on past practical experience.

Putting bigger PAs in bigger venues is a crude form of theory. A more sophisticated theory is likely to give more accurate predictions. All modelling software is based on theory and mathematical modelling.

In this case, yours seems to be that the lower frequency response limit of horns is inversely proportional to the size.  No you can’t get low frequencies out of a small horn, but there is a bit more to it than just size.

I guess it just confirms that if you have the resources to knock out decent wooden boxes, without spurious bits of glue showing, you don’t need to know much about how loudspeakers work to set up as a manufacturer.

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 8:49pm
If your practical results don't match the theory - you don't know enough Thumbs Up

Everything is governed by mathematical rules - it's just how far you're prepared to go!
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:00pm
I guess you are not really good enough in recognizing a bit of a sarcasm a?
 :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

I guess you are not really good enough in recognizing a bit of a sarcasm a?

:-)

Obviously not, please explain?

Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

If your practical results don't match the theory - you don't know enough Thumbs Up

We had a tutor at uni’ who always said, “if your theory doesn’t match the real world it is always the theory that is wrong”.

If your theory works, it lets you predict the outcome and understand why certain designs work and others don’t. Today, with programs like winisd, everyone is an expert. If you can click a mouse and cut in a straight line, you can build a reasonable loudspeaker.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:34am
Steve, what I guess I mean is that if the theory doesn't match up with the practical, then it's generally because there is more than meets the seemingly untrained eye.

Yes, it can become ridiculously convoluted, and start involving the space time continuum - but there is an underlying mathematic model that is doing its job!

Is it necessary to understand every intricate detail, no, (I think you would start to surpass Einstein quite soon) but stating that all the theory is wrong implies that underpinnings of the universe are wrong..

Anyway, think I'm getting seriously carried away here Tongue. It is much easier and more time effective to understand the fundamentals (before the theory of relativity gets involved) then use practical knowledge from there Thumbs Up
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:35am
I'm useless at sarcasm anyway, there's no hope in written text !
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:48am
Add the language barrier to that too :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 12:51am
Anyway, here is how my horn works with that particular driver.

So theory, practice, lucky guess, whatever, it works :-)
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 2:05am

They are pretty much the same as far as low frequency extension is concerned. It looks like there is some evidence of resonance on yours showing as peaks at 500Hz 1Khz 1.5KHz.

Looking at the higher end, the response curves look similar but the upper curve (timebomb's) looks shifted to the right (upward in frequency) compared to the lower graph.

Marjan, care to share what your horn looks like?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 2:15am
Steve once it is in a presentable shape i will show it. It is still in a prototyping phase. Need a bit more work. 
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 2:24am
One more thing, the response is within 4db (+/- 2db) from 500Hz to about 18Khz following one central line all its way. And it is much smaller horn then the other one. It is 29x29cm square front 24cm deep 60x40 dispersion.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>