Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400Hz-20KHz horn for BMS 4595

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 10:47am
A Klipsch K-402 HF horn on top of a LaScala. It's conical in the throat area, with a tractrix mouth.

It's large enough to have good horizontal directivity control to 400hz, and still have good dispersion at 16Khz (without a slot).

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1959035/K402_hor.pdf

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/1959037/K402_ver.pdf

H=25.5" W=39.5" D=16.25" 2" throat.

Edited by _djk_ - 28 April 2013 at 2:03pm
djk
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 1:41pm
MarjanM, it's very interesting. Is it useful from 500Hz on music signal? And what about efficiency/power when 450-700Hz diapozone is used? I mean 8" single speaker with some horn of the same size (f1-like) could have maximum sensitivity about 108db not 118db as driver, but it has more power so it could be considerably equal in sensitivity but costs much lower and go lower about 200-300Hz.

Edited by PavelP - 28 April 2013 at 2:02pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 2:29pm
Pavel, the main advantage here is getting a true point source. Meaning one source is always better then two sources.
No phase problems and so on.
About the power, BMS coax is 150W, mid range 8 inch drivers are all about 200W, so not much power difference there. 

Edited by MarjanM - 28 April 2013 at 2:31pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
PavelP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PavelP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 3:36pm
I see. But if we place delayed twitter in mf-horn mouth it will be such a point soure as a 2-way driver with crossover.
I like this idea and thought about it, but it looks like very expansive hi-end, because it's very difficult to make effective mid 90-450Hz. To reach good sensitivity in this diapozone over 3-4 cabs needed, but the effective mid will be 90-250. In this way we need additional 3-way system: 20-90, 90-250, 250-450 plus 2-way driver. Wo-wo-wow!
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 3:44pm
there was a comment about the sound quality at such a low frequency. I only have experience with the B and C coaxil compression driver, which also has a similar x/o point. These drivers are made to go that low. I'm not sure how the BMS driver sounds at the lower frequencies, because I believe that the larger diaphragm is also metal. But the larger diapragm in the B and C driver is a paper cone, and I guess in part, this also combats any harshness at lower frequencies. I think this gets a better result for upper mids than depending on the high end of a 12" speaker to do the same job.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 4:10pm
Tony, BMS is an annular polyester ring. Not a cone or a diaphragm.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by MarjanM MarjanM wrote:

One more thing, the response is within 4db (+/- 2db) from 500Hz to about 18Khz following one central line all its way. And it is much smaller horn then the other one. It is 29x29cm square front 24cm deep 60x40 dispersion.

As I said, the low end response is set by the included angle. There is not much difference between yours and Timebomb's dispersion angles so the low end should be similar even though your horn is smaller.

The effective length of a horn can be slightly longer than the physical length. Add to that the additional length in the driver, between the diaphragm and exit and let’s say it is 34cm long. If we go with 340msec-1 for the speed of sound, to make things easy, the length of your horn is 1 wavelength at 1000Hz. If the mouth area is too small the horn will exhibit resonant peaks at multiples of ½ wavelength of the horn, so 500Hz, 1KHz, etc. This can be seen in your measured response. Timebomb’s larger horn does not exhibit these ripples.

This may or may not be a problem. Size versus slight uneven response it is the designers choice. The thing is, if you don’t know the theory, how do you decide which way to go if you wish to modify your horn.

The other thing that doesn’t show in either response graph is the off axis response. The larger horn will have a lot better control at lower frequencies. Again the loss of control (wide dispersion pattern) might not be a problem depending on what device is being used in the next passband down. With a compression driver of this size and output, I wouldn’t expect it to be used above a single 12” cone.

Originally posted by _djk_ _djk_ wrote:

It's large enough to have good horizontal directivity control to 400hz, and still have good dispersion at 16Khz (without a slot).

I guess it depends on what you call good dispersion at 16KHz. At 1.6KHz the coverage is 90˚ whereas at 16KHz it is down to 50˚, highlighted with red arrows. The horn also exhibits fingering, highlighted by yellow arrows.

I’m not saying that it is a bad design, but a tractrix flare means that it will have narrowing dispersion at higher frequencies. Assuming that the designer knew what he/she was doing, it will have been a conscious decision, and the advantages of the flare curve will have been considered to outweigh the disadvantages.

I think that this all goes to show that Timebomb already has a horn that can compete with commercial designs.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 5:03pm
Steve, as all the things in life, one must compromise. 
The horn i did has to fit in a box of a given size. So i can live with resonant peaks of 1.5db. 
This horn also has to be used in a DB C4 type of box so the size was chosen before all the other things were involved.
Having that on mind i am quite happy with it. And it does not have a strait walls. Ill post some pictures once it is all done. Looks like a Frankenstein right now ;-)

And yes this driver is used above a single 12 inch and single 15 inch. Why not? 

Edited by MarjanM - 28 April 2013 at 5:06pm
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 5:27pm
Cheers Steve, i chose a linear / conical expansion as it was easy to build and has more consistent directivity compared to exponential, hyperbolic, tractrix etc.  I built some tractrix flares for some other drivers and they sounded great on axis but the beaming was too much for me.   I knew the large mouth would cause lobing at the top end but i think you need a large horn to get down that low cleanly,  its not something you can really get away from.  And i thought it was best to make it as big a possible but fit inside the cases that fit inside the low mid horns.  I have some smaller OHM horns that the drivers came with and they are not as clean as my big horns, even with a much higher high pass. 

I still think its worth trying some mouth correction, i thought of a different way to do it, more like the Klipsch horn DJK posted, i could possibly truncate the existing horns and add a roundover / front baffle.  I still have a OSB prototype that i could cut down to test with, and i think i have some 6" plastic pipe somewhere.   

I will have a dig on my hard drive and see if i took any off axis measurements of this horn,  i think ARTA will do polar plots so i recon my next step is to make a scabby prototype with the osb horn and take a load of measurements.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 6:07pm

Tony, BMS is an annular polyester ring. Not a cone or a diaphragm.

Nice internal shot there Marj. It's good to know these things. This is a completely different principle to the B and C DCX50.

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 28 April 2013 at 6:09pm
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 7:01pm
Something like this.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 8:14pm

And yes this driver is used above a single 12 inch and single 15 inch. Why not? 

I’m not saying it won’t work, but it just seems a very expensive option if the output is limited by a single 12” driver. Directivity wise and given the size of your horn, I would think that 800Hz to 1KHz would match up. Olson gives the directivity of both conical and exponential horns of a similar size the same directivity as a 12” driver at 1KHz.

If the idea of the lower crossover is to use a more bass orientated drive unit for the 12” then the sensitivity is likely to be lower, which is even more of a waste of the high output achievable by the compression driver.

And it does not have a strait walls

With a square mouth and straight walls a 60 x 40 dispersion angle is unlikely. Have you got any off axis response plots? They are always interesting.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>