Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 400w UV Blacklight bulbs - best value for money ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

400w UV Blacklight bulbs - best value for money ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 400w UV Blacklight bulbs - best value for money ?
    Posted: 19 April 2013 at 12:02pm
Hi,
Due to relamp 4x 400w UV canons, in experience which lamps have been found to give the best output with proper woods glass ?

Looking at the Sylvania HSW 400 which i would assume to be decent, but havnt tried personally.

I do have a Iwasaki eye MBW400 sitting around which held down a reputation for being rather good & is my yard stick so to speak, but not seen them on sale uk side in sometime.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 1:07pm
I was going to suggest the Eye, but I see you've got it there already!
I need a couple more so I'll be interested to see what people think too
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
nineleaves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 1:09pm
well, all uv lamps on thomann are about £18 a pop, going to risk it on the sylvanias and see how they fare.. abit of a massive relamping session going on here; hopefully they pack them adiquately :)
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 2:35pm
just while we're on the subject of UV (lol sorry for hijack)  what are peoples opinions of LED UV units against traditional ones?

k
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 2:44pm
from what ive heard and seen, the proper uv leds are really expensive & typically not used in most units.
most are the broader spectrum variety that seem to kick out more in the directly visible spectrum, which reduces contrast ratio of the enviroment vs objects that reactively glow. it is however the only way you can strobe uv that i know of.

A decent mercury blacklight is a sure, cheap, bet for tons of dependable uv. just replace the lamps/clean lamps and fixtures often, the output on them drops drastically due to aging of the woods glass long before the bulb fails to strike (lamps are rated at 500-2000 hours, but may become effectively useless long before the latter). got a lamp in one unit received that when you look at it directly (not advised for extened periods) appears fine, but barely kicks out 20% of the uv that does the actual magic o.o

Also, some of the cheaper uv bulbs appear brighter due to using shitty glass which doesnt filter out as narrowly as it should, resulting in an effect not unlike the leds.. too much visible spectrum emissions ..avoid.

Edited by nineleaves - 19 April 2013 at 2:47pm
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 12:17am
Sadly the Iwasaki is now discontinued .. i was after some for ages, no one has them in stock
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)
Powered by MC2 & XTA
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 12:23am
thats unfortunate, i shall take the one barely used Iwasaki i have and keep it in a "this is how they used to make them" box ;) :) ..so, next votes folks ?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 2:14pm
The Sylvainia UV bulbs (made in china according to bulb stamp) arrived today, they certainly appear to kick out as much uv as the Eye's, however they do leak a slightly broader spectrum, theres a shade more purple in the room and the bulbs look slightly bluer direct on, rather than deep purple.
Which is a little dissapointing from them, but no less they work reasonably well.

thomann also have afew more bulbs around the same price, im expecting they will all be roughly equivalent to the sylvainia, if not inferior. though, someone might get lucky and find someone else is making them closer to how the old Eye ones used to be made :)

Tried photographing to show the difference, but it didnt show up too well.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 5:35pm
I remember I used to see a number of the fatter 4ft tubes which when on, you could only tell by looking at the ends where there was a little leakage. Apart from that they were almost completely dark of visible wavelengths.

In the immortal words of Little Fluffy Clouds... "you don't see that anymore"
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nineleaves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 7:30pm
you know me too well ;) ..love the orb, particularly when they are on form :] ..theres been afew duff albums, surpisingly some of their finer stuff no one seems to have heard of these days ;)

On bulbs, one of the Sylvanias arrived duff, thomann where quick to offer a replacement (presumably as i ordered a fair bit of stuff, so no quibbles) ..also asked them about bulbs with a deeper uv filter on them, they reccomended the Omnilux, so getting them to send one of them over too, will compare and take photos of results if i can get it to come out fine on camera :)
JohnnyPyro View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyPyro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 7:31pm
I thought about getting the sylvania .. they usualy produce a good lamp .. but think i'll give that a miss now ... i did find some eye's in the states, waiting for them to get back to me .. if i get a reply i'll let you guys know, might get a good deal

Adam i remember the old 4ft tubes lol tons of those came up on ebay a short while ago.. i think 50 tubes went for 30 quid or something .. i remember my first UV's were 4ft .. cost something like 20 quid a tube from the local dj supplies
Pyrotechnics... its not rocket science, well.... actually it is !! :o)