Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48v PV/Lithium system - Build in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 48v PV/Lithium system - Build in progress
    Posted: 20 June 2021 at 2:38pm
Hi folks, I'm in the process of putting together an inverter + battery system. Theres not loads of sun in the north of England so the PV won't be the main source, the idea is that instead of putting in a 20Kva set and running at 10-20% most of the time, we can have a 4-6Kva LPG and the battery system provides peak load when required. It will also keep the batts topped up as required.

On single day gigs we should be able to run all day just from the batts and recharge from hard power on a renewables contract once finished.

To start with we'll only have one solar bank and one battery bank but will put in all the connections to expand as funds allow. Batts, Inverter and MPPT will be linked with the CAN bus so they can talk to each other.

Breaker sizes are a rough guess and only placed as makes sense to me but if anything is amiss please let me know. I can only afford to do this once!

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 15 July 2021 at 10:13pm
blah blah blah blah blah......
KaphaSound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KaphaSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 2:53pm
Don’t have helpful advice but I think generally speaking this sounds like a great project. Always wondered how feasible a solar setup would be for a proper rig
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 5:17pm
You don't seem to have a centralised system for controlling everything together (solar, generator, batteries, inverter) to control/limit currents and properly charge the batteries. This system (with a generator) is very similar to off-grid or boat systems, which I've been looking at a lot recently because I'm getting an electric narrowboat built.

For batteries you might be better off with as many BYD Premium LVL 15.4 as you need, these are better quality than Pylontech, have a 10 year guarantee, each one can provide 250A (so you only need 1), and you can easily parallel as many as you want. The most popular kit for connecting everything up (including generator) and providing mains is Victron, maybe a Multiplus II 48/10000 plus MPPT controller and Cerbo GX/Touch 50. Much more common and better supported than Studer.

Try these guys, they sell everything you'll need and actually started out as a provider of solar powered kit for festivals...

Edited by IanD - 20 June 2021 at 5:26pm
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 5:44pm
I’ve spoken to the folks at Bimble and they’ve been helpful however they have tried to sell me a full Victron system but I’ve got a good deal on the Studer stuff so that’s what I’ve got. I have one off the RCC-03 panels to manage everything and both the MPPT and inverter will talk to the batts via the CAN bus and provide current and voltage control of charging as far as I gather. I haven’t brought the batts yet and BYD have been mentioned elsewhere so I’ll investigate that. Cheers.
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 11:33pm
Just to add the breakers after the panels and after the mppt are unnecessary and wil cause more problems than they will solve.Keep it simple.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 5:01am
Funnily enuff we've just placed our order for upgrading our solar trailer to LiPo. Pylontechs with Victron 48/5000 with Cerbo GX talking to our Midnite Solar Classic.As Billso said you only need breakers for the inverter and maybe one on each panel string before the isolator.
Will let you know how it works out when it all gets fitted !

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

Funnily enuff we've just placed our order for upgrading our solar trailer to LiPo. Pylontechs with Victron 48/5000 with Cerbo GX talking to our Midnite Solar Classic.As Billso said you only need breakers for the inverter and maybe one on each panel string before the isolator.
Will let you know how it works out when it all gets fitted !

.p.

Cool, what Pylontechs are you getting? the 3.5ks or 2.4ks? It looks like there are none in the country and I need this for a gig in July so I might go down the BYD route...

Quite a steep learning curve this and I've throughly thrown myself in at the deep end!

Standard....Big smile
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 12:26pm
I'm in Melbourne so might be a bit different supplies from the Uk !

We are getting 3 x 3.55 Pylontech to start with and then going to expand when funds allow, and as we are moving up to 48v from our current 24v setup means we don't have to worry about cable sizing !

We have DC breakers on our panel strings and then DC fuse on the inverter / batt bank. All our inverter outs are RCBO ( 1 x 32a , 2 x 10a) .

.p.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2021 at 1:16pm
Are the ones you're getting the US3000 or the US3000C? From what I gather the differences are the discharge ability to 95% instead of 90% and that you can stick more in a bank with the C version.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2021 at 3:44am
We have the 3000c 's

Our new toys arrived this morning !!

.p.

carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2021 at 1:52pm
This is a great setup. I have Studer XTH 8000's in our electric barge, they are a cut above Victron imo.
Worth noting that you don't need to stick to 48Vnom with the Xtender, they are OK up to 68V input. I just built a 1200Ah 17S 60p battery for the barge, ~75kWh at 69.4V fully charged. Absolutely loving the lithium, replaced 930AH 48V FLA and it is night and day. For some reason the rotation is wonky on the image, but pics below...

Edited by carlosdelondres - 07 July 2021 at 1:57pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 11:54pm
So I got my new toys.....

Went to Coventry to pick up what I thought were Pylontech US3000 and they were sent the wrong type so I got the newer C version for the price of the older one! 13.5 kwh of batteries... wow...

Only 1kw of solar so far, MPPT can take 3kw so I'll get some more panels when I can, maxed out my spends pretty swiftly, fingers crossed I can get it all going by the 24th!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>