Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6” subwoofer driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6” subwoofer driver
    Posted: 07 June 2019 at 11:48pm
hi all,

New to this forum but not (been a long time since I resides in this forum under another username but couldn’t remember my login)

I am looking for a proper subwoofer driver inwith a diameter of 6” or 6.5”.

I have been looking on blue Aran but to no avail.
Please could anyone here recommend me one? As high sensitivity as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Simon
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 8:37am
i Googled a bit for you.  

Hard when you haven't given an application, but take a look at Dayton Audio dcs165-4 for a budget option or peerless by tymphany (several models but their website is rubbish)

Sure you're already aware that if you can go up to a 8 or 10 inch you'll get info the more mainstream pro kit 
Mr_Si View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 8:45am
Thank you I will take a look at them both.

I cannot say a lot without asking you to sign an NDA!

I will be pairing it with some B&C drivers that have a 98dB 1w/1m sensitivity. B & C 6MBX44

Edited by Mr_Si - 08 June 2019 at 8:45am
IanD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Mr_Si Mr_Si wrote:

Thank you I will take a look at them both.

I cannot say a lot without asking you to sign an NDA!

I will be pairing it with some B&C drivers that have a 98dB 1w/1m sensitivity. B & C 6MBX44

There's no such thing as a high sensitivity 6.5" subwoofer driver; you'll need several of them (and a big amplifier) to match the 6MBX44, you'd be better off with a single bigger diameter driver which can shift more air and has higher efficiency.
Mr_Si View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 6:15pm
Ian,

Thank you for confirming this.

Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by IanD IanD wrote:

There's no such thing as a high sensitivity 6.5" subwoofer driver; you'll need several of them (and a big amplifier) to match the 6MBX44, you'd be better off with a single bigger diameter driver which can shift more air and has higher efficiency.

+1.

Hoffman's Iron Law - low bass, small size, high efficiency - pick any two.

I have a couple of Tang Band W6-1139 mini-sub drivers. They're around 80dB @1w, so they need a rocket up them to get going. A big cabinet (tapped horn or similar) can help, but by the time you've built one of those you might as well have used a 12" driver in a similar-sized cabinet.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 5:03pm
+2

Methinks you'd need at least 4 - if not 6 or 8 x 6" sub drivers to keep up.
Better, cheaper and more practical to use a 12" or thereabouts. You're not gonna save any volume, weight, money, or amplifier power by using multiple 6" sub drivers.

Only possible reason I can think of is if you want to have a specific overall shape/layout of drivers/enclosures.
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
Mr_Si View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Si Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 5:29pm
THanks all,

I understand and that's great. It was an idea my boss had of using a sub driver, but I'll explain to him that his idea won't work.

If anyone knew, it'd be you all!

I wish I could use larger drivers, but it's a weight-size-directivity issue.
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 7:11pm
Whats the directivity issue? Any driver in bass frequencies would be very omnidirectional.
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
 Post Reply Post Reply