Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70`s Disco`s in 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhamplification Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70`s Disco`s in 2013
    Posted: 01 January 2013 at 8:42pm
Went to a do at the local pub last night "dj" was using a laptop  a NJD mixer amp and 2 NJd 1 x12" carpet cabs   1 of the cabs burnt out after an hour or so of painful clipping you could smell it from other side of the room   the music he was playing was the usual modern c*** gangnam style Cheryl Cole etc Which nobody wanted  to hear Thye were all asking for 1970`s singalong stuff etc  Somone suggested to me with all my old Citronic kit about starting to do 1970`s themed discos    I think it may have been done before  But just wondered what you guys on here think
I would do it (equipment wise) totally retro  Lets face it a the old will out preform most cheap new stuff anyway   Using a Hawaii  and mostly vinyl and  a few CD,s  ( Still have all my Kool and the Gang etc 12" ers)
PPX amps and CCM, Soundout cabs Maybe a pair of early Hysys 2`s Would have to acquire some screens and period lighting effects spot banks etc  But it could be fun
What do you think      I would need someone to help  as I'm not as young as I used to be

Happy new year to all the Golden Oldies on here
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 8:57pm
its a nice idea but wont work...... You need to look at the target age of venues, most pubs, not the sports bar kind. Have an average age of mid 20's to mid 40's evening time, and day time the average age is 40 to 65.....   this info is based on middlesex.....  If you look at the age of people that enjoy 70's music your target audiance is ages between 50 and 65 years old. evening entertain based apon this age group, just is not there, a retro 70's and 80's night will give you a better chance for your plan to work..... Look at dedicated retro venues like reflex (watford) its been an 80's music policy for when it open'd, from what ive been told they are changing it to a 90's bar with an 80's set......

Hope this info helps...... your best bet to any idea is research, look at the age's for the venues you want to work in, let the facts rule, not what you want the facts to be......

Edited by bee - 01 January 2013 at 9:00pm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 9:34pm
I do one or two of them a year Martin... but I just use my normal sound rig* and change the lights to four FAL columns and either eight pin-spots or four PAR 56. Oh, and a rope-light!

* Mackie 450s, Hz SB600s and Cross (Mix Vibes) PC based playout. I know it's not authentic but I just couldn't bear making millions of trips to the van to bring in box after box after box of vinyl, I'm too old for that shizzle.

Edit: Forgot to say... there are clubs etc that would do that kind of night, but not very often I've discovered. The ones I do are part of an Over 30's club. Well I say Over 30's but I think the youngest is in her early 60's! They have a night once a month but with a normal Sharon and Tracey style disco normally, with all the Gangnam cr4p so they don't feel 'old', and I just do the specials.

Edited by djeddie - 01 January 2013 at 9:41pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 9:47pm
very true eddie, i have 8 venues i supplie dj's and gear too and its the same thing, ok for one off events once twice a year.... gotta have a rope light, and a police light lol.....
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

its a nice idea but wont work...... You need to look at the target age of venues, most pubs, not the sports bar kind. Have an average age of mid 20's to mid 40's evening time, and day time the average age is 40 to 65.....   this info is based on middlesex.....  If you look at the age of people that enjoy 70's music your target audiance is ages between 50 and 65 years old. evening entertain based apon this age group, just is not there, a retro 70's and 80's night will give you a better chance for your plan to work..... Look at dedicated retro venues like reflex (watford) its been an 80's music policy for when it open'd, from what ive been told they are changing it to a 90's bar with an 80's set......

Hope this info helps...... your best bet to any idea is research, look at the age's for the venues you want to work in, let the facts rule, not what you want the facts to be......

we have a flares 70s bar and reflex 80s bar and both are busy, flares tends to have a younger crowdLOL
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 10:55pm
both flares, and reflex are chains, but the music policy for reflex wll change this year to 90's. 
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by bee bee wrote:

...and a police light lol.....

Still gotta find a couple of those... but the proper ones, rather than the garbage that's out now.
Oh, and I don't mean ones nicked off the top of a Dibble car either!
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:51pm
m8t thats were mine came from, a next door neighber of me old mans was a copper, he got him 8 as a joke one christmas, the batterys in em last for months..... thats how i ended up with them, allso a uv light is a must......
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 8:59pm
LOL
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2013 at 9:20pm
i must dig out a pic of me old man in his flares, and me a very young boy, with the full rig as it was back in the mid 80's...... most of that rig is long gone, but some of it is still knocking around in me shed... If i find the police lights your more than welcome to them, as i have no need for them. I think they are at me dads in devon in his lock up with most of my not needed bits, im up there in a few weeks so ill dig em out..... and take a look at what i should get rid of, The old man keeps going on at me to sort it out, Im sure there is a few bsr decks and gerard decks in flight cases etc..... I may of got rid of the bsr decks cant remember.....
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:22am
Yes, it's a great idea, but Bee's comments regarding the average age of the audience rings very true. I know, from first hand experience. I occasionally do this sort of thing in the Midlands, but, even with pre-advertising, stating the entertainment on offer, you get absolute rissoles pestering for chart garbage.
When I say pestering, I mean pestering, the explanation that you only have vinyl is met with "Let's look at your records then"....For me that's an absolute NO! Then I had another woman moaning about what I was playing, because I had no new stuff (70's night!!!)  I told her I didn't do this very often, she then asked me if I'd do a disco for her child's Christening!!! That's the point where I said I wasn't going to do any more.

I suppose it depends on how much hassle you want to take. Audiences have changed massively from my heyday.
I was using a Citronic Tamar deck unit, which I've recently refurbished, now looks like new, Crown XLS amps and EV Eliminator bass and SX300 mid/top speakers. Lighting with Tutor 2 projectors, giving ageing delights such as liquid wheels and splodascopes.

For anyone who's interested, here's a clip of one that did work, but remember what Bee said about the target age group, there's the proof.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WT3Xje2TkKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by funkyparrot - 03 January 2013 at 11:40am
Joseph P.Keegan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph P.Keegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 7:37pm
Go for it , not too often that someone goes for the complete set up with vinyl sound & lighting. You will probably start a cult following and other DJ's may follow. 
Check out Stan's Disco Scene in the states and the following that he has.

The local youth club had a 25 year reunion in 2010 & 2011 to allow for people who missed the 1st reunion that there was a second chance with a second reunion.
For the lighting from the 70's we had pair of Pulsar Quad spots with par 38's,four Opti Solar 250's,pair of Towering Inferno's,pair of Infinity Tunnels,pair of screens,pair of UV 20 watt and a mirror ball  with  
2 pin spots .From the 80's we had twin 8 + twin 12 RO 80's light boxes. The controller for the light rope gave up after the first five minutes.
Lighting control from NJD,Ryger,Sound Creations and Pulsar.
Sound was kept simple to CD,Citronic mixer complete with PPX 900 and DAS DS 15's.
For the next one we have a Supernova and Technics 1210's with vinyl is what we doing next time round in a couple of years time.

Regards
Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>