Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70's Showco/Clair Festival PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's Showco/Clair Festival PA
    Posted: 03 March 2014 at 9:16pm
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 9:22pm
Yes,good find that Chris. Thumbs Up

Be seeing you.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 10:33pm
Nice racks
music is the message
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 10:54pm
S4 boxes were never the best of speaker cabinets even in those early days---Mix position was only 50 yards from the stage as the fall off after this distance was terrible/
This was an American problem in those kind of days as they only did direct radiating boxes as they could never get their heads around the benefits of horn loading like us Brits did.
System would not even come anywhere near the Iron Maiden Monsters of Rock Festival at Donnington with 360 blue boxes(mainly TMS3s)which was giving a peak of 124db at FOH mix position 100yds from stage---entire system was 525kw of power and you could feel the kick drum hit your chest up to a mile away from stage.
I am glad that I was there to witness it as it will never happen again in UK.
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 11:18pm
Yes, those S4's sounded OK in singles or vertically stacked pairs or triples, but the more you put horizontally in a stack, the worse it got. The 18"s coupled nicely, but nothing else. Close to the stacks was OK, but any more than 10 yards away was always a real mess. "Mushy" was how I would describe it.
And they weighed 30 stone each too...

Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 11:42pm

The line I found amusing was:-

“We wanted something that would pack well in the trucks, that could be easily handled, that looked clean, and would give all of our systems a consistent sound. The S-4 weighs approximately 425 pounds fully loaded, and measures 43 by 45 by 22 inches deep”

I can think of easier things to handle LOL

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

System would not even come anywhere near the Iron Maiden Monsters of Rock Festival at Donnington with 360 blue boxes(mainly TMS3s)which was giving a peak of 124db at FOH mix position 100yds from stage---entire system was 525kw of power and you could feel the kick drum hit your chest up to a mile away from stage.

You can say that again John,all the Health and safety and enviromental muppets would have kittens if someone did that today.
Be seeing you.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 9:46am
Can you imagine how many Crown DC300's were sold. They seemed to have been the Holy Grail back in the day. Great amps, and they still sound good on Hi Fi.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 9:50am
The Americans have always had this thing about direct radiating cabinets Chris---and they still do to a certain degree in this modern day.
The only time that they have ever been at the forefront of touring pro audio was in the sixties with JBL and Altec and they seem to have stayed there ever since.
I know when I was doing the really big tours in the seventies and eighties, we always used to look forward to the European gigs because we knew that we would be using the best horn loaded systems that were available worldwide.
When it came to the USA legs of tours which were usually at the end of big tours in those days, everyone would be totally p-ssed off with the sound in large venues over there and the outside amphitheatre type venues were even worse.
It really was bad over there due to touring europe for a few weeks with great sound quality right in your face and then going to the USA and having to work on real mickey mouse rigs that the Americans thought were brilliant and in fact they were terrible and totally unsuitable for the venues---you were always fighting a loosing battle at FOH trying to get a half decent sound.
Since those days, I have always took with a pinch of salt, anything that the americans have said about sound and PA rigs---as I said earlier the S4 cabinets were terrible, especially when squared off in stacking instead of a nice curved array to help things along---even the guys that were supposedly at the top of their profession in live sound over there had not got a clue how to set a very big rig up to get half decent sound quality.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 10:12am
To me the biggest shock with our American friends, is how behind the times they stayed. As a kid, I always looked to America and thought how futuristic it must be and because of wealth, they must be ahead in everything. Then when I finally got there in the late '70's, I couldn't believe how old fashioned they were and of course totally insular. They themselves had been brainwashed into thinking they were the Bee's Knees, and so therefore never looked outside there own box. When you think of early American Cinema systems and the companies involved, the PA thing becomes a bit of surprise. I do remember American engineers not having a very good reputation though.
Pasi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 10:21am
:) Tony, you are adorable. That's exactly how i feel about UK, how behind the times this country has stayed and how that is what i like here. Everything seems to be done "traditional way" and no modern nonsense is accepted. Like proper insulation in the houses, underfrool heating on bathrooms, 2 taps on the sink,  insisting to use land lines rather than mobiles, faxes do exist etc.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by Robbo Robbo wrote:

Bloody hell John, I didn't know there were that many TMS3s ever, never mind in one place. Ooh that must have been an awful lot of fun to play with. Pity the poor sods who had to lug them all around though.

Edited by oldskool - 04 March 2014 at 12:42pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>