Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8" Active Studio Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BP1Fanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 8:11pm
Nice build!
jamesccart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2022 at 8:53pm
any more feedback about these ? I was thinking of doing a mtm with these drivers and the hypex f253
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 12:04am
They're still going strong in my mates studio and used 3-4 times a week. I ended up changing the tweeters over to the SB29SDAC-C000-4 a few years later for better dispersion in the top freqs, plus it was 4ohm vs 6ohm for the SS so better for the Hypex, lower dist too I think.

One thing I've noticed over time with the hypex amps is that the smaller ones really do run out of juice on the low end in larger rooms. They sound accurate and transparent but if you have the budget get the biggest ones you can afford. I'm also annoyed you can just bring up the "live" or current config on the DSP you gotta have the original file so over 4 year and 3 computers and multiple config revisions on multiple different speakers in different physical locations it's a bit of a pain not being able to just show up, plug in, and adjust the config (other than with the additional input EQs).

The Volt 8" is great, but I'm not bothering with any more Volt/overseas drivers with sbacoustics made on my doorstep they have a driver for just about any reqs/goal/budget.

For an MTM the SB26STCN-C000-4 is also a good choice and it's tiny so you could get your C2C space down a few mm and cross at 2khz still.

Edited by vertx - 17 September 2022 at 12:18am
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 12:16am
These are from this year when the tweeters were swapped out.   

On ax freq resp -6db at 28hz and 22khz

Distortion

Edited by vertx - 17 September 2022 at 12:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 12:06pm
so even with 250 to the volt they still could of used more power thats interesting . 
maybe I would need the the fusion523 then . how do you rate the sound quality of the volt driver I know its only an 8 but their reputation leads me to believe it will be a really good driver ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2022 at 12:07pm
and I find it hard to interpret those distortion graphs any idea of the distortion in a percentage ? 
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2022 at 6:22am
Originally posted by jamesccart jamesccart wrote:

so even with 250 to the volt they still could of used more power thats interesting . 
maybe I would need the the fusion523 then . how do you rate the sound quality of the volt driver I know its only an 8 but their reputation leads me to believe it will be a really good driver ?

How much power you'd need would depend on your requirements and use case. 125w - 250w in a studio environment is probably OK depending on if you're hitting excursion limits pre or post this drive level, which is going to depend on your enclosure net volume and design. Also your might hit port chuffing limits before you hit 500w peaks into the volt anyway depending on how much port length and diameter you can get into the design.

I like the Volt driver, from memory it's got a nice high BL for an 8" and has a decent sized magnet on it for an 8", excursion isn't huge though, but the poly cone does soften the breakup in the upper freqs pretty well. Would be nice for it to have a vented pole piece but maybe it's not really necessary in a smaller wattage driver. If I didn't have the huge range of sbacoustic options I'd still look as ordering them directly from Volt if I needed. If you're local I'd say give em a go.

SPL and drive level was not calibrated for these so I'd say you can probably only use them as an indication of the distortion profile as a whole.

Edited by vertx - 18 September 2022 at 12:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2022 at 7:47am
thankyou . uou seem like your quite experienced at making studio monitors or speakers could you tell me what equipment you needed to take those distortion plots please is it just a mic and a program on the laptop ? ii constantly design speakers in my head and Id like to shoot for the lowest distortion I can 
thanks again 
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2022 at 11:47am
For the graphs in 2018 (at the start of the thread) I was using Dayton EMM-6 and Focusrite Saffire 6 interface and Room EQ Wizard at 44.1khz. For the more recent measurements I would have used an Earthworks M30 + Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and Room EQ Wizard at 96khz. REW is a great tool for measuring lots of audio related things and there's a lot of great tutorials around for the software. If you are software inclined don't be afraid to give a CAD program like Solidworks or Fusion a go as it helps you get the ideas out of your head and "onto the page" so to speak.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2022 at 12:13pm
thanks how do you rate the sound of the volt speakers you think they're as good as it gets sound quality wise or those sb drivers you mentioned just as good I see they have loads of good looking not so expensive drivers available 
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2022 at 12:56pm
All the drivers I've used from Volt have met expectations but I have only used a few really.
Does sbacoustics make an 8" woofer as good as the BM228.8 ? Possibly, but driver selection for me is more about availability, lead time, ability of manufacture to fill large or small orders, cost to performance ratio, reputation of manufacture, etc. It's pretty easy to put a lot of expensive drivers in a box with a bad crossover and get worse performance than putting ok drivers in well implemented enclosures with intentionally designed crossovers. Subscribe to Voice Coil, watch Bennett Prescots and videos on YouTube, read lots of forums (and filter the noise out), plus join all the Facebooks groups as there's lots of good stuff in there - sbacoustics loudspeaker fans, and DIY loudspeaker project pad, etc.

Edited by vertx - 18 September 2022 at 12:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesccart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2022 at 9:37pm
thanks for taking the time to reply . your right there's lots of nice looking sb drivers the textreme midbass and tweeter look really interesting I'm not usually into fancy cone materials bit these do seem to offer some real advantages over the usual suspects . I'm going to try to get myself some measurement equipment and tinker about with producing some of the designs I've got floating around in my head 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123