Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Buying and Selling > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8 Way stage (drop) box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8 Way stage (drop) box
    Posted: 08 October 2015 at 12:47am
I'm feeling a bit lazy, I could make some but lets see if anyone has anything I can use as a starting point!

What I'm looking for is some well-made boxes with 8-12 female XLR's on, has to be Neutrik ideally, somewhere around 10m of cable to 8-12 male XLR's.

I used to have some but they were made of really good quality but completely impossible to coil cable, so they've ended up in an install.  I'm now missing them when I'm out doing my live band gigs!

Half finished projects would be fine, just looking to save some time/money compared with starting from scratch myself.

Sinfinity View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinfinity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 10:08am
I may have just the thing.
Will measure for length and send you a photo tonight.
please pm your email for photos.
Cheers
Matt

Matt at ukamp dot co dot uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 6:59pm
Thanks Matt, PM sent
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 10:58pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 11:16pm
I did see you'd listed those 6 way ones, I might be tempted if they're cheaper off Ebay.  Are the XLR's and cable any good?  There's a massive variation in knock-off Neutrik plugs from fairly usable to complete sh1te.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2015 at 11:25pm
The cable is nice, like belden nice, I would sleeve out the XLR tail end for my use, the connectors are knock-off but the males are fine (I have used literally a couple of Thousand of them, Gubbah on here has a load he gigs) the non-latching plastic box end is deliberate, remote boxes get trodden on and these take it well...
Yes they drop a bit if you loose the ebay part, but not massively as the bits aren't that cheap (like £20) and if you want the tails sleeved and labelled you will still end up at £30 (ish) based on costs plus a 4 pack!

let me know

Smile

S

ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 12:09am
I'll wait and see what Matt has.  Sleeving them isn't an issue, got reels of Pliosil and glue lined heatshrink.  How many of them have you got?

I've got a 16 Way Kelsey box and some chunky 17 pair cable which has been waiting for me to make up for a couple of years but that's a bit overkill for gigs where I sometimes only use 8 channels in total!
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 12:22am
I have like 80m of cable left and 20 6way lasercut plates, the whole thing is a bit of a thorn in my side, the laser cutting and powdercoating alone was £180+vat...

I use MK metal back boxes (the gridswitch range) sprayed black with a decent gland, but you could easy get some Canford FSM-8 and CPC (penn I think) 8 way plates and do 8 way ones, if you look I cut the plates for landscape so in portrait (nice as a drop box) I use the plate upside down and the connect are a bit pissed, but kinda arty!!!!!!

Smile
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 12:34am
Let me have a think, I might just take some of the parts off you and make a couple up myself now I know the situation.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 12:43am
Chris if you ever get rid of that Kelsey box give me a shout. Ive got a collection of Kelsey stage boxes building up. Ive got a 12 and an 8. A 16 too would be lovely.

Yep those knock of connectors are fine! I bought a massive amount of old style neutriks and a couple 100M reels of VDC on the cheap so I sold all my old stock of mic cables that were mostly unbranded cable and those connectors - never had reason to doubt any when I had them. In fact some of the sold XLRs went into the venue I work and sit aside new neutrik... I haven't had any fail.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2015 at 1:02am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Let me have a think, I might just take some of the parts off you and make a couple up myself now I know the situation.

Kits always available!!!!!

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply