Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8ohms to 4ohms?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanlj1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8ohms to 4ohms?
    Posted: 02 February 2015 at 6:31am
Okay i have a DJ speaker i have bought recently and was wanting to change the woofer. The speaker itself is listed as 8ohms.

im wanting to replaced the 8ohms woofer with a 4ohms sub, is this possible by just connecting up the wires into the sub?

Amp:

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/dda0114

DJ speaker:

http://www.electromarket.ie/ssa3606

Sub i want to use:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/gt5-12-12-1100w-subwoofer
BradRWills View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradRWills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 9:51am
You could.

But you'd ruin some already pretty low end kit even further.

I suspect what you're looking at is the power handling figures and deciding that a change to some cheap car subs would push the amount of bass you'd get out of them. Not so.

The JBL's are rated at 93dBSPL 1w/1m sensitivity. Your cabs (although I don't have the specifics of the 12" in them) are rated at 99dBSPL 1w/1m.

This means that to get the same amount of sound out of your replacement drivers, you'd have to feed them 4 times the amount of power for exactly the same result. Apart from the fact that by that time, you will have overpowered your HF drivers. I don't even need to look at the amp specs to know it won't be able to do that.

Advice:
If your drivers are blown, look for some generic Eminence replacements with a similar set of parameters to the existing ones. If they're not blown, don't try and polish a turd, with a massive heap of bull poop - car audio works on a completely different set of design parameters for a very different environment. They're generally not particularly compatible with each other.

Hope this helps - I'm sure others will be able to expand upon it as well, but I think that's the basics :)
Please check out my covers band! HERE!

And my live sound blog too! HERE!

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 10:21am
lets look at the numbers:

Your existing speakers - 99db @1w/1M SPL, 200w RMS = 122db continuous SPL on paper

Your JBL sub - 93db @1w/1M SPL, 275W RMS = 117db continuous SPL on paper.

Which one is louder? 

( forgetting the whole box tuning, impedance, crossover, tweeter balance issues that will cause various problems)
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 10:37am
Put the woofers in their own boxes underneath with their own amp and a crossover and that might improve your system (slightly). Otherwise, as above no.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 8:41pm
WOFTAM
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2015 at 10:33pm
Dont use car audio. Period.

Unless its a big pair of 15"s in a bandpass and its your bedroom your having the party in.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
b grade View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b grade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 12:23am
Also the sub only claims to be useful up to 450hz, and I am betting it is pretty ugly at 450 too. No way the HF driver is even coming within an octave of that. Big ugly hole in the spectrum. Also, when you have a passive xover and change the driver to one with a different nominal impedance, there is no chance that the filters will still be tuned to match eachother.

You can make a nice sounding box with quality car audio kit, but it won't be pro audio pa gear. If you want PA gear, try and buy the best quality you can afford. Bargain basement price for the components does not usually yield the happy kinds of surprises.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 10:36am
Originally posted by bitSmasher bitSmasher wrote:

WOFTAM

LOLYou kids, I had to look that up. 
music is the message
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 10:41am
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

WOFTAM

which is almost a WOFTAM in itself
mooreb View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 11:10am

WOFTAM

So did I!!

FB LS AUDIO SYSTEMS
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 12:25pm

WOFTAM

Likewise, more familiar with WOMBAT myself Wink
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2015 at 2:30pm
Just had to look both of them up!! DMorison - I darent ask how you are familiar with that one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>