Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A famous handbook of sorts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocko Team Shakin He Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A famous handbook of sorts
    Posted: 26 July 2020 at 10:20am
Hello friends been an audio fan since a kid. Where and what is a HANE HANDBOOK is it a physical book? Apparently I need to check it out

Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 10:53am
Do you mean the Fane loudspeaker book? 
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:09am
The book you really want is the Yamaha sound reinforcement handbook by Davis & Jones
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 1:07pm
EV PA Bible.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 4:17pm
Re Contour's message:

Fane, the loudspeaker manufacture, produced a booklet of cabinet designs. Is that what you mean? It's probably online somewhere.

The other suggestions are good for general practical information on using audio systems. There's also the JBL Sound System Design Reference Manual.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 4:40pm

The Fane constructor’s book is available in pdf on the ozvalveamps.org pages, it's on the /cabinets page near the bottom... it’s been split into about 6 sections... Link below:

https://ozvalveamps.org/cabinets.html

Please bear in mind that this book is old, the speakers components used are no longer available and designs are now mainly considered obsolete!!  ….However its good as a record of how things user to be done.

Btw: I agree the Yamaha SR Handbook book is mentioned above is a very good read.

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

The Fane constructor’s book is available in pdf on the ozvalveamps.org pages, it's on the /cabinets page near the bottom... it’s been split into about 6 sections... Link below:

https://ozvalveamps.org/cabinets.html

Please bear in mind that this book is old, the speakers components used are no longer available and designs are now mainly considered obsolete!!  ….However its good as a record of how things user to be done.

Btw: I agree the Yamaha SR Handbook book is mentioned above is a very good read.

Major labelling error in the pages 34-41 link, where  it tells us about a Folded horn bin 2x12 driver
 - whereas it's actually a 2x15 that I always fancied making but never actually got around to.

It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 8:22pm
Cheers APW for the link. Bought back good memories.

I bought a copy of the Fane Speaker constructors book many many years ago when I was a teenager and saw it in Tandy. (Like an older version of Maplins).

Probably about 1980.

There was no internet to get information from back then. No magazines or books in the library about speakers either. Nothing.

I was into coin and stamp collecting at the time, but used to spend evenings in my room listening to pirate radio (LWR, Horizon etc).

But now I had this book that was about speakers, and in particular horn loaded speakers that I never even knew existed.

What I liked about the book was the way it was laid out. The first chapter summarised the basic things you need to know. Written in a nice clear way. The rest of the book had a drawing of what each speaker box looked like, together with it's plans.

But most importantly there was a frequency response plot for each box that had been done properly using a B and K audio frequency spectrum analyser. So you could compare the response plots for each of the designs.

A couple of months later I had chosen what design I wanted to build.

Maybe 3 months after that (no power tools) I had built my first pair of bass bins, and was using them in my room.

My parents were not happy!

Edited by APC321 - 26 July 2020 at 8:24pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 8:53pm
No problem....

TBH, it’s about 60-70% the same as the later Eminence/Adam Hall constructors book from the early 90s. I still have a paperback copy of it here; it still has the Maplin’s part number (WM82) label on it... the Emi book pops up on eBay from time to time.

I also had a copy of the Fane book but I must have lent it to someone, never to see it again! Disapprove
MarcoAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 4:07pm
Sound System Engineering by Don Davis
EHaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EHaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 9:15pm
Very good book
Did you plug it in?
EHaudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EHaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2020 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

The book you really want is the Yamaha sound reinforcement handbook by Davis & Jones
Very good book
Did you plug it in?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>