Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good basic 12v for live in vehicle?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildebeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good basic 12v for live in vehicle?
    Posted: 17 August 2013 at 10:09pm
Hello,

I'm conscious that perhaps this should be in the newbie bit but then again seems to fit here so....

I'm currently converting a luton van to be my principle abode. I'm looking to fit it with a basic system with the best possible efficiency as I don't intend to move about a lot and so will be reliant on solar power.

I have 100W panel feeding 250ah battery bank with 5amps x 0.80 efficiency = 4 amps at best. Therefore I'd like the system to draw no more than 3/4 amps per hour. The idea being that on a sunny day it could run on purely the energy I would be dumping and that in general I deplete the batteries as little as possible and thus prolong their life.

I'm looking at a T-chip D class amp ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSE-M20-EX2-TA2020-power-Digital-Amplifier-T-Amp-2-20W-4-Silver-Power-Supply-/220956040788#vi- - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSE-M20-EX2-TA2020-power-Digital-Amplifier-T-Amp-2-20W-4-Silver-Power-Supply-/220956040788#vi-content)

And then a couple of <6.5inch driver hifi speakers.

I won't be listening to anything extremely bassy.  Does the above seems suitable or is there any trick I'm missing?

Thanks

Edited by wildebeast - 17 August 2013 at 11:16pm
amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2013 at 11:08pm
that should do the job.
small trick lays in efficiency of your speaker drivers, the more efficient they are the less power you need to drive them. but for not too loud listening and a class d amp even generic hifi should do the job...
can recommend hifimediy amps, much better quality for same price.
carlosdelondres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 10:39am
slightly tangential, but it would probably be worth getting a bit more PV than that - panels are so cheap now, a decent mppt and 200 watt panel can be had for a couple of hundred quid these days. A good rule of thumb is that you should aim for the system to fully recharge itself by midday on an average day, and have enough battery reserves to go for five or six days without sun...

Good PV potential estimator here:

http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php#

Live on a solar powered barge, 1.7kWp array and 930 ah (c5) 48 volt battery...and keeping charged through winter not possible without genny/mains hookup...
wildebeast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildebeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 12:43pm
Cheers folks.

@ amlu: Am taking a look at those amps,  any recommendation in terms of drivers if I don't go the shelf hi fi speaker route?

@ carlosdelondres: You may well be right but it's pretty easy to chain in another 100w panel if needed. I'm pretty low consumption (no fridge, no hot water, etc etc) so I'll trial it with this first. I spent the last year in northern spain where a flat mounted 30W panel sorted out our lighting and phone, minirig and laptop chargeing in January without ever failing to re-charge. Obviously the latitude makes a huge difference but thats why I'm up to 100W so far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 1:35pm
Its more about keeping the battery optimally charged really, cheaper to buy more panels than replace batteries these days :)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 2:28pm
What type of panel is it? Amorphous or CIS panels are more suited for our altitude and typical weather conditions than crystalline panels. Especially so if your mounting requires that you cannot angle it optimally both during each day and especially over several weeks. Crystalline panels are hysterical about constant optimum angle and direct unimpeded light to achieve anywhere near the specified efficiency. A-Si and CIS panels doesn't vary nearly as much in output with angle or weather conditions, and you can easily get 40% of nominal efficiency mounted flat and in complete overcast weather where crystalline panels would be around 5-8% of nominal efficiency.  

Edited by Saturnus - 18 August 2013 at 2:33pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildebeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 5:18pm
Okay well I've got the wrong ones in this instance as they are monocrystalline silicon. On the other hand I did have a play with that calculator website linked to above.

I couldn't see any benefit to CIS over what I have BUT it was fairly clear about the advantages of getting an adjustable mount - twice the energy production in January.

Back to ebay.....
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 6:49pm
Yeah, I'm not sure the calculator is correct. Without knowing it, I'm thinking they might just take the nominal efficiency of each type of panel and include angular efficiency loss but not the vastly greater diffuse light efficiency of CIS panels. I know that I got 4W out of a 20W panel this Friday evening at 6PM in overcast conditions. 

Edited by Saturnus - 18 August 2013 at 6:52pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 8:32pm
I've found with my panels, which are thin film, we do very well in diffuse light relative to a similar sized crystalline array - in winter here in London it's not unreasonable to get 0.5 kWh from an overcast midwinter day (though we still get the odd day with not enough to register), where crystalline arrays aren't producing anything. However crystalline arrays make up for it by producing much more on good days - so 1.7 kWp of thin film, or crystalline, will produce much the same amount of power for much of the year, and will average about the same over a year.

I do find that our panels overheat quite dramatically in summer (stuck to a steel roof in full sun!), which means our array is limited to about 800w peak. Best days are sunny with scattered cloud, peaks of 1.4 kW as a cloud passes.

Anyway, crystalline is so cheap now that unless you specifically need the characteristics of thin film (robust, always gives a bit of power, small modules, lower environmental footprint, etc.) framed conventional panels are the way to go, cheaper (and more reliable) to add a panel than go for a tracking array as well - at least going from 1 to 2 panels.

Though you do of course need direct sun for them to work, no good parked under a tree.

Oh, and the PV estimator is pretty good as a general guide, if you want to go crazy you can upload horizon profiles and so on...

Anyway, apologies for ramble...
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2013 at 8:53pm
It's actually a paradox that crystalline panels are cheaper because from a purely energy, raw material, and tooling point of view thin film and CIS panels are actually cheaper to manufacture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildebeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 9:04am
Hrm......

Plus 1 panel with angle mount behind the flat mounted panel? Best of both worlds?

I'm pretty easy to convince to buy "the good stuff". Grade A+ magic beans you say? Sure thing they must be worth it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carlosdelondres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 9:20am
That's pretty much my plan for the boat - add a kilowatt of high efficiency framed modules on a tracking/adjustable mount, as we're space limited...best of all round perhaps, but if I didn't already have the thin film it'd be yingli or whatever 220 watt panels, crazy cheap at the moment (might not last though, everyone pissed off with chinese pv dumping...).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>